Mom's Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
This recipe comes from my Mom and is a no holds barred recipe, not for the health conscience. Personally I love it but only make it in the cooler months as it is a stick to your ribs recipe. I have made this recipe for several years and do not measure the flour but I have given an approximate measurement. More will make it thicker, less will make it thinner. Also be prepared to do a LOT of stirring or have someone willing to stir for you. This recipe is a labor of love that pays off.

5 or so large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb. hickory smoked bacon, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieced
1 med to large onion, diced
1 stick of butter, I prefer unsalted
3/4 cup flour
1 gallon of whole milk (I will typically use 3/4 gallon milk with 1/4 gallon half and half or cream)
1 Tablespoon Salt
Fat pinch Thyme
Small pinch Red Pepper Flake
Maybe aboout 2 teaspoons of groung black pepper, maybe more

Peel the potatoes and dice into small bite sized chunks. Boil in slated water until tender and drain, set aside.

Remove bacon from packaging but leave it all in one piece. Cut across the strips every 1/2 inch or so. Seperate and brown over medium heat until crispy in a large stock pot.

Remove bacon but reserve the bacon grease. Add the onions and cook until clear and slightly brown. Toss the bacon back in along with the butter and stir until melted.

Add the flour and stir for a couple of minutes.

Add the milk slowly. As it heats up it will thicken. Continue adding milk and continuously stirring.

When you have added about half the milk add the salt, thyme, red pepper flake and black pepper.

Continue to stir and slowly add the milk. When the milk is all in, continue to stir as the soup thickens for another 5 minutes or more. Add the potatoes and allow to heat through.

Potato_Soup.jpg

This is excellent with grilled cheese and I prefer it the next day after it has cooled and been reheated.

Enjoy,
Bryan

That looks delicious! I make mine very similar, except I use mostly chicken broth. I bet the milk and cream would make it even better.

Barb,

Why don't you post your recipe. As I get older my Dr keeps bringing up that I should start thinking about eating a bit more healthy.

I don't make my Moms potato soup all the time but it would be nice for an alternative I could make more often.

Hey BK,

Recipe looks really good. Can't go wrong with bacon. Have you ever thought about putting a pinch of nutmeg in there? I found a couple of Italian recipes that use it with potatoes and it works really well. It kinda gives the dish that flavor that nobody can quit put their finger on. The reason why I ask is I was thinking of trying it in mine but been too chicken so far.

Happy cookin and eats,

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom