Cowboy Hash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
1 Medium onion diced
Lots of Garlic...
Corned Beef
4 or 5 Red Potatoes diced
3 pieces Salt Pork
S&P

Fry the salt pork until done. Saute onions. Add potaotes, saute for a few minutes. Next add Corned beef, garlic, and S&P to taste. Add enough water to cook until potatoes are done. Serve with hot fried cornbread! Enjoy!

Kim and I checked that out too. It looks like the kind of set-up my Grandma White would have used when she was canning outdoors, except that her pit (is that the right term?) would have been larger, as she processed her canned goods in a copper washtub that she lined with straw to keep the jars from breaking. She would also have had a big kettle going for sterilizing jars, and another with the food to be put up. (I'm really into this sort of thing, because
I'm writing a book about my family, and trying to gather accurate information to go with the stories I've been told.)

Back to the subject, I read your recipe, and thought, "If only I had some cabbage with that." Then, lo and behold, you show the dish with a wedge of cabbage. Those corn cakes look mighty good, too. When I first got married, I didn't have a working oven for a while, and I made those to go with my ham'n beans. How do you make them?

Really fantastic - both the food and the kitchen.

Thinking about the hash for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs on top. Served with some biscuits and gravy with lots of white pepper. Make it look purty with some fruit or something.

That sounds good to me.

Contance said:
How do you make them?

Miss Connie. I do pretty much what Miss Katie says in the house. However when Campfire cooking I keep it very basic. These "Corn Cakes' were:

1 Cup SR Meal
1 Egg
Enough milk to make a soft batter.
Let the batter sit for 10 to 15 miinutes. Then drop by spoon into very shallow oil on a hot griddle.

Sassysouls, my mother made that a lot too, but she was from the Gaspe Coast of Eastern Quebec. I love the kitchen set up. Is that in your back yard, or do you take the whole business with you when you camp, Uncle Bob?

Sassysouls, my mother made that a lot too, but she was from the Gaspe Coast of Eastern Quebec. I love the kitchen set up. Is that in your back yard, or do you take the whole business with you when you camp, Uncle Bob?

Cordel.........

Thank You! It is a permanent set up about 100 yards behind my house in my "Park" 'Look in Member Photos'..'Where We Live' for better views..

Happy Thanksgiving!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom