Good Source for Professional Knife Roll Kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indigo_Swale

Assistant Cook
Hi all.

I currently work as a "cook" for a catering company.

I use the quotes because I haven't been to culinary school and there isn't a whole lot of real cooking involved in the job--mostly heating stuff up, assembling hors d'oeuvres, finishing and plating pre-cooked food at event sites. But I get to wear a chef's coat and checked pants and pretend that I know what I'm doing. :chef: I can't tell you how much I love this.

So, I need to get a decent knife roll starter kit. Most of the other cooks at work got their kits at school, and as a non-student, I'm having trouble finding what I need. I'd rather not buy a kit off the internet because I know how important it is to try out knives before you buy them--but I'm willing to do it if there's no other option.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to buy junk, either. (I used to take my Wusthoff Grand Prix 7" Santoku to job sites, but I lost it:cry:...so I bought a cheap stamped "made in China" Sabatier for ten bucks to use til I get a kit that's decent but won't make me feel suicidal if it gets lost or stolen.)

Any professional chefs here know a good source for this? Is it best to go to restaurant supply stores? Or better to buy online? (I'm in the Los Angeles area, and if anyone can recommend a good brick-and-mortar source in the southland, I'd be much obliged.)

I did find an 8-pocket knife roll kit that included 3 Sabatier "Grand Chef" knives (4" paring, 5" boning, and 10" chefs) and a steel on sale for $149.95 at cutleryandmore.com. Seems like a good deal, no? I'm thinking this might be the way to go, even though I haven't tried these knives.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
I second the restaurant supply store. Or better yet, if you have any vendors that come through your kitchen, see if they have any. Of course, you won't be able to handle the knife beforehand.

I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond just yesterday and saw knife carrying cases. They looked very professional and were reasonably priced.

[edit] I guess it would be more accurately described as a nylon carrying pouch [\edit]

Last edited:
I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond just yesterday and saw knife carrying cases. They looked very professional and were reasonably priced.

[edit] I guess it would be more accurately described as a nylon carrying pouch [\edit]

I thought about that, but his post led me to believe he needed a carrying case of some kind that included the knives.

I'd steer clear of Sabatier. When they were made exclusively in France they were excellent knives, but the name is now licensed to several lower quality manufacturers.

I thought about that, but his post led me to believe he needed a carrying case of some kind that included the knives.

I'm a she. ;)

And yes, I'd kind of like to get a roll that includes at least a few knives.

Thank you so very much for the links, Caine!

I'd steer clear of Sabatier. When they were made exclusively in France they were excellent knives, but the name is now licensed to several lower quality manufacturers.

Yes. Like I said, I just bought a Sabatier Chef's knife for ten bucks, but it is clearly marked "Made In China," and obviously not a high-quality knife.

However, the knives I saw at cutleryandmore.com expressly claimed to be the genuine, Made-in-France good stuff. (Suggested retail for the kit was listed at $330). Are the made-in-france knives still good, or not so much?

Are the made-in-france knives still good, or not so much?

The major complaint I have heard about the French-made Sabatier knives concerns sharpness. They aren't very sharp to begin with, they don't resharpen well, and once resharpened, they don't hold their edge for very long.

The Mundial knives I linked you to, on the other hand, are excellent knives for the price. They were, at one time, the brand of cutlery given to each student of the Le Cordon Bleu de Paris upon graduation.

Back
Top Bottom