San Diego County Wild Fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
For any of our San Diego County members, I pray that your homes and families are not in danger. Stay safe, and if they say evacuate, please do it. I just read that they are evacuating over 250,000 people.

I also read that it is close to the Wild Animal Park. It is so open and grassy out there (and there are homes nearby). I hope they can keep it from affecting them.

So far it looks like my family is far enough away from them. Hopefully no new ones will start, and they will quickly contain the ones that are raging now.

:ermm:Barbara

My aunt and uncle evacuated their home yesterday. I sure hope they are OK.

For any of our San Diego County members, I pray that your homes and families are not in danger. Stay safe, and if they say evacuate, please do it. I just read that they are evacuating over 250,000 people.

I also read that it is close to the Wild Animal Park. It is so open and grassy out there (and there are homes nearby). I hope they can keep it from affecting them.

So far it looks like my family is far enough away from them. Hopefully no new ones will start, and they will quickly contain the ones that are raging now.

:ermm:Barbara

Barbara, it's very bad in Los Angeles County as well - about a dozen fires from Malibu to Canyon Country, as well as Lake Arrowhead, etc. President Bush has declared California a State of emergency. During the last 48 hours there has been very high winds, & high temps. I've had my windows closed and a/c running. Hopefully the winds will die down tomorrow and everything can be contained. Stay safe.

It's bad in a total of 6 counties. I didn't believe the news about the winds until I talked to my SIL. She's in Orange County and she said the wind was so bad it blew my 1 year old niece on her butt. It's terrible. They can't even let the kids go out for recess right now because the ash in the air.

I hadn't heard about Bush but I knew Arnold declared the SOE on Sunday. It's really, really bad and worse than 1993 and that was terrible so I can only imagine.

Thanks for the update. Yeah, I didn't know yet about the other counties. Since I am originally from San Diego County I get daily news updates from there so I found out about them first.

It's bad in a total of 6 counties. I didn't believe the news about the winds until I talked to my SIL. She's in Orange County and she said the wind was so bad it blew my 1 year old niece on her butt. It's terrible. They can't even let the kids go out for recess right now because the ash in the air.

I hadn't heard about Bush but I knew Arnold declared the SOE on Sunday. It's really, really bad and worse than 1993 and that was terrible so I can only imagine.
It looks like most of the schools in North San Diego County have been closed.

Santa Anas can be pretty strong. Even adults have to brace themselves against them. My mom was knocked down by Santa Ana winds once, and she was in her 30s!

To add insult to injury, as much as they need rain to help with the fires, the rain after big fires causes a lot of landslides.

I remember when (around 1970) there was a big fire in the mountains and El Cajon and other parts of East County. We were eating supper (we lived in the North Park area of San Diego at the time, quite a way from the fire) and we noticed something like pepper on our mashed potatoes. It was ashes that were being blown all that way from the fire.

:(Barbara

The wind is very high - last I heard - 60-80 mph. I could hear the wind, literally, howling. I didn't know about San Diego until I watched Nightline last night - as I recall they likened the devastation etc to Katrina. Let's hope it's contained/out soon. My heart goes out to all those that have lost lives, property etc, & are in evacuation centers - and the firefighters that have worked non stop.

The wind is very high - last I heard - 60-80 mph. I could hear the wind, literally, howling. I didn't know about San Diego until I watched Nightline last night - as I recall they likened the devastation etc to Katrina. Let's hope it's contained/out soon. My heart goes out to all those that have lost lives, property etc, & are in evacuation centers - and the firefighters that have worked non stop.
What I heard was they likened the evacuation numbers to the combined totals of Katrina and Rita, easy to do in the densely populated LA/SD/SB areas. The total burned area would equal the entire city of Dallas. It's crazy. They showed pictures of satelite photos where you could see the fires from space. That's just scary to me.

What part of California are you in Amy? I grew up in Orange County and used to drive I-5 to San Diego all the time. Loved it there. Don't miss it though. :)

In the last 2 days we have sent hundreds of firefighters to Southern California from Northern California. My national forest sent about 100 firefighters on it own. We sent 5 engines, 2 twenty person hand crews, and miscellaneous overhead. Some of us had to stay here just to be prepared for a fire in Northern California.

I hope everyone stays safe that lives down there. Has anyone heard from jkath?

If you want to find out more about the fires. Click on the link in my signature that says inciweb. It is a website ran by the Forest Service to keep the public updated on wildland fire activities.

If anyone is interest, Boston Legal is being pre-empted for a special on the California wildfires. It's scary and interesting all at the same time. 10 pm on ABC.

In the last 2 days we have sent hundreds of firefighters to Southern California from Northern California. My national forest sent about 100 firefighters on it own. We sent 5 engines, 2 twenty person hand crews, and miscellaneous overhead. Some of us had to stay here just to be prepared for a fire in Northern California.

I hope everyone stays safe that lives down there. Has anyone heard from jkath?

If you want to find out more about the fires. Click on the link in my signature that says inciweb. It is a website ran by the Forest Service to keep the public updated on wildland fire activities.
I was thinking about you today. I'm glad you checked in. :cool: I will email jkath to see if she is near any of the fires, but she is pretty busy and may not respond quickly.

:)Barbara

I have been listening to this on the news in utter disbelief. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who are affected. I can not even imagine what dealing like this must be like.

I'm more concerned about the families than the avocado trees right now.
Trees will re-grow. I just hope everyone is getting out safely and that the
firefighters get the blazes under control.

I'm more concerned about the families than the avocado trees right now.
Trees will re-grow. I just hope everyone is getting out safely and that the
firefighters get the blazes under control.

and I am, as well. I'm just pointing out that even those of us who live far from Southern California are going to be directly affected by this disaster. Lots of our food -- not just avocadoes -- especially in the colder weather -- comes from around there.

*amy* - you said yesterday you could see the orange glow and you were on "alert" - I am thinking about you hoping you are ok!!!!!!!! I look forward to a report back to us very soon!

*amy* - you said yesterday you could see the orange glow and you were on "alert" - I am thinking about you hoping you are ok!!!!!!!! I look forward to a report back to us very soon!

Thanks so much of thinking about us/me folks in CA, Elf. Still the orange glow, and the air is very bad. I count my blessings there were no evacuations here - but my heart goes out to all those who have lost so much. Watching the news - things seem to look a bit more positive - several fires contained, and a bit of humidity - ashes flying around. I can't even describe it - it's surreal. I think the weather & diminishing of winds are helping the firefighters to contain (hopefully) the fires that still continue.

Added note for those that are in the areas - if you are having trouble breathing, eyes tearing or any chest pains - please do, get to an emergency room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom