Need help (pots & pans)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
I have been looking around at just about everything for months and all I have come up with is that I am more confused now than when I started!
I need a couple small sauce pans (or pot) and a saute pan for now.

I have a Faberware set now that the nonstick coating is flaking off and the lids are not fitting even any longer.

I have to admit I have used metal spoons on occasion and that is probably why nonstick is flaking.

I have looked at the normal stuff - Circulon, Analon, Le Creuset, kitchenaid, etc.

I have liked the looks of the Le Creuset but not sure if this is the way to go.

This will be for everday cooking. I hope I gave enough info.!

Thanks for the help!

First off, do you want non-stick again? Do you prefer glass or metal lids? Also, how many do you normally cook for? That way you can decide what size sauce and saute pans you'll need and use most. Do you have a dishwasher and do you want to wash your cookware in it? Some cookware has a lifetime warranty that is voided if you wash in the dishwasher. Let us know and I'm sure people would be happy to suggest some different options that might make it easier for you to decide.

This is where I get confused! haha

I dont really care if it is non stick or not, I may actually just like one decent size saute pan that is nonstick, the rest I dont care.

The glass lids would be nice but again not sure I would mind not having them. My pans now have glass lids.

Normally I cook for up to 5 people, except on the occasional party.

I dont mind washing them by hand but my wife may want dishwasher safe items.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the nonspecific answers. haha

NAchef, there is a great deal of discussion of the pros and cons of different cookware in this forum. If you scout through the earlier threads, you'll find tons of good info.

Ditto what Andy said.

I was in your boat not too long ago (except I don't cook for five, but I eat big and like leftovers:)). I was replacing my worn out T-Fal. I went with a couple Cuisinart Chef's Classic fry pans and a saute pan in SS and one non-stick fry pan for eggs. Then I still didn't have what all I needed or wanted (I still use my T-Fal pots for now), so I got a wok style non-stick pan, too. What I consider an everyday pan anyway, because it's handy for a lot. Half pot, half fry pan and it has a lid. My next purchase is some kind of stovetop griddle :)

What I have found out is that things seem to have become more specialized and you may do better mixing, matching and adding what you want rather than buying a whole set.

NAchef, as Andy and pacanis said, there are so many great threads here on DC that speak to this. I agree with pacanis that it usually works out better for you to purchase individual pieces. Here are a few links for cookware I have personal experience with in sizes that might fit your needs. I also have a Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless pan that I like very much and seems to be every bit as high quality as my Calphalon and All Clad cookware (all of which I purchased on sale, one piece at a time at Amazon, on ebay, at estate sales, At Marshall's & TJMaxx and at the outlet mall). Caine also recently mentioned the line of cookware he bought and is very happy with but I can't remember the name. Good luck! This is going to be so much fun for you!
Amazon.com: Calphalon Triply Stainless 2-1/2-Quart Shallow Saucepan with Glass Lid: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch International Griddle/Crepe Pan: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 2-1/2-Quart Shallow Saucepan with Lid: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Lid: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Simply Calphalon Stainless Collector's Edition 11-Inch Deep Skillet with Cover: Kitchen & Dining
IKEA | Cooking | Frying pans & woks | FAVORIT

Let me add, too, that every Friday, Amazon has a special "Friday" sale. Just go to Amazon's home page, look at the left side and scroll down until you get to the Friday Sale. Once there, go to the area featuring kitchen stuff and cookware.

Let me add, too, that every Friday, Amazon has a special "Friday" sale. Just go to Amazon's home page, look at the left side and scroll down until you get to the Friday Sale. Once there, go to the area featuring kitchen stuff and cookware.
It's my favorite Friday shopping too, Katie. (I thought I recognized you!:)) Actually, I only posted links to pans that are discounted right now because it's such a habit for me to wait till it goes on sale. I think that's half the fun.

The problem is - what do you want???

Non-stick or not?

What material (aluminum, cast aluminum, hard-anodized aluminum, stainless steel (SS), cast iron (CI) or steel?

If CI or steel - enamel coated or not?

Something that can go in the dishwasher, or not?

Do you mind mix-n-match or do you want everything to match - even if mix-n-match would be better?

Is weight a consideration?

Metal lids or glass lids?

Good cookware or some name brand to impress?

The problem is - as Andy M. noted when he said we've discussed this many times in the past - there is a lot of good cookware out there on the market .... you first have to narrow down what it is that you want and what you need it for - and work from there. There is no ONE cookware that is the ideal for everything - but there are acceptable options.

Also, do you want something to keep out and show off, or something that you can beat the everloving crap out of and never break?

Well, I talked with the wife and came up with a few answers to the questions.

Non stick for the saute pans with glass lids, as for the sauce pan it doesnt matter and I dont care if it has a glass lid or not.

Dishwasher safe is not a concern but would be nice.

We dont need items that match (our plates and bowls are 5 different colors) and weight is not an issue.

We just want some quality stuff, I hate buying things every few years. This will be the first time either of us has bought these items for ourselves.

Hopefully this will help to get a few ideas. I liked what I have seen so far with the links, I have been trying to go to a few stores that specialize in this stuff but something keeps coming up. Hopefully I can get out by the end of Nov. to check some out in person.

Sam's Club has 2 diff sets..Members Mark..one is exactly like All Clad and the other is like Calphalon..at a fraction of the cost ..like 145. a set..and they are big sets..ya shoud check it out

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom