If a recipe calls for tomato paste...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rom

Sous Chef
I don't use tomato paste at all. Not a fan of it. But i have the following recipe which asks for Cans of tomatoes and ALSO tomato paste. Do I really need tomato paste, what is it contributing to the recipe? I don't see it as being a problem if i don't have it, but can someone tell me the "specialness of tomato paste" lol - even in any recipe not just this one (i got the recipe from the side of a can of tomatoes, are they trying to push their own brand of paste as well LOL)

Tomato Chicken Casserole

400gram can of tomatoes
4 large chicken drumsticks
2 tbsp flour
salt and cracked pepper
2 stalks fresh rosemary
2 dried bay leaves
1 large white onion
2 medium carrots

3 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
potatoes/rice/pasta

It will add an element of flavor you cannot get from the canned tomato. Tomato paste is concentrated and adds a sweetness to a tomato dish. It also serves to offset acidity that can be present in tomato dishes.

I found this:

Tomato paste is made from tomatoes that have been cooked for a few hours, strained and reduced into a rich, sweet paste. Tomato paste is most commonly used in pizza sauce. A dollop of tomato paste adds a dark, savory flavor to soups and stews.

Tomato purée consists of tomatoes that have been cooked briefly and strained to produce a thick, tangy liquid. Tomato purée is used in soups, stews and sauces to add the tomato flavoring without the texture. We use it as the flavor base in certain recipes.

Tomato sauce refers to any sauce made out of tomatoes. That includes the ubiquitous Italian tomato sauce with all its variations, as well as Indian and Thai curries that have a tomato base. Tomato sauce can be canned, jarred or fresh. Time-willing, we prefer to make our own.

aha...so there is a use for paste...my bf hates anything slightly sweet in lunch or dinner...hmm might leave it out. (wonder if he would notice if i put it in hehehe j/k)

thanks heaps for the quick answers!!!

:)

Rom, the amount is too slight for your BF to notice, but it will be a nice addition to the dish.

Buck and I don't use much tomato paste either. What I do is to open a can of the stuff, measure out 1 tablespoon dollops on waxed paper on a cookie sheet or plate and freeze. Once frozen, I wrap the dollops in plastic wrap, put into a freezer zipper bag and store in the freezer.

When I need some tomato paste, I just take out what is needed from the freezer.

Like Andy M. said - it adds a unique, deep, and slightly-sweet (acid balancing) flavor. It's not going to taste sweet.

Last edited:
hmmm perhaps i will slip in it in then, just for experimentation sake ;) - i haven't tried the recipe before either, so if it's crap its crap, what can i say hehehe...freezing sounds good lol.

thanks again!!!

I agree with Andy and Michael. The tomatoe paste adds depth of flavor and a richness that makes the dish great instead of just "good." Don't leave it out. You won't taste the tomato paste, you'll just notice how good the dish is. There's a reason for everything in a recipe.

Yeah, DQ - like how many people don't like anchovies - they gag and retch at the thought of them - and yet like Worcestershire sauce?

Yeah, DQ - like how many people don't like anchovies - they gag and retch at the thought of them - and yet like Worcestershire sauce?
I love Worcestershire but I don't gag at anchovies. When I learned they used them in Worcestershire I decided "no problem."

Tomato paste is just the heart and soul of the tomato, concentrated. Slip it in, you'll be all good.

:)I dont like whole anchovies but they are great in worchestershire I like anchovie paste in my Caesar Salad dressing or other dishes as long as they are not whole.The same holds for Cilantro I hate its pure taste but mixed in with other things especially Indian and Asian foods it adds another layer of flavor but you cant really taste it.

I agree. There are so many things to use anchovies in that make the dish superb. I like a light sprinkling of chopped anchovies on a pepperoni pizza and my friends freak out. They also freak out when I order Escargot or raw oysters. Peasants!!! :rolleyes:

Tomato paste is yet another ingredient that ups the UMAMI factor in savory dishes.

Much like soy sauce, anchovies, Worcestershire sauce, etc do.

It will not make your dish noticably sweeter but will add a great depth of flavor. It will be a lot better with it than without.

If you are really opposed to using tomato paste, try adding a small hit of soy sauce or worcestershire sauce or parmesan cheese.

Rom, the amount is too slight for your BF to notice, but it will be a nice addition to the dish.

Buck and I don't use much tomato paste either. What I do is to open a can of the stuff, measure out 1 tablespoon dollops on waxed paper on a cookie sheet or plate and freeze. Once frozen, I wrap the dollops in plastic wrap, put into a freezer zipper bag and store in the freezer.

When I need some tomato paste, I just take out what is needed from the freezer.

Have you ever considered just buying your tomato paste in a squeeze tube?

I buy both. I use the squeeze tube if a recipe calls for 1 or 2 tablespoons, and I use a can if it calls for, let's say, 6 ounces.

TIP: To get ALL the tomato paste out of the can, open both ends with a can opener, gently push the top lid down until you can slide the bottom lid off in a horizontal direction, then continue to push the lid all the way through the can.

I pass on the tube tomato paste. It is significantly more expensive than the canned.

If I need a tablespoon or two from a full can, I portion the remainder onto a plate in tablespoon sized piles and freeze them on the plate then transfer to a plastic bag and keep it in the freezer until needed.

I also use the method of opening both ends of the can to push the contents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom