Any true classical music lovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I love to listen to classical when I am stressed, but, really don't know much about it. I would like to download, from itunes, some that are ralaxing without it having the parts thatjust as I'm relaxed, booming all of a sudden. Sorry, don't know how else to say it.
Can anyone give me some composers and titles to download?

Miss Texasgirl....

Try selections by Claude Debussy

Also, you may like Dvorak's "New World Symphony"

Lastly, Aaron Copeland's "Appalachain Spring"

While listening to the Dvorak, and Copeland pieces, you may hear things you have heard before, See if you can pick them out;)

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Try Vivaldi the Four Seasons, and Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty ballet. Also look at some of Chopin's pieces. You can't go wrong with piano.

Oh, texasgirl, I love classical music. Always have and learned to really enjoy it from my music appreciation professor in college. I especially love classical piano, but not exclusively. I just love how the music can move me.

If you want something particularly relaxing, try to download Debussy's Clair de Lune (Light of the Moon). Check it out here. It's one of the most beautiful pieces. I love it and can get "lost" in it. Enjoy.

Speaking of classical music, check out this 6-year-old piano prodigy. He almost moved me to tears when I saw him on Martha Stewart's program on Friday. Fabulous child. I can't imagine what he'll be like in 10 years.

Last edited:
wow, thank you!! I will get to listening as soon as I get home today.
Katie, your right, I like Clair de Lune.

I love to listen to classical when I am stressed, but, really don't know much about it. I would like to download, from itunes, some that are ralaxing without it having the parts thatjust as I'm relaxed, booming all of a sudden. Sorry, don't know how else to say it.
Can anyone give me some composers and titles to download?

This time of year, you might enjoy ALL of The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Moonlight Sonata. I would suggest Madame Butterfly, but some parts may be too loud(?) for you.

If you go with Dvorak's 9th (New World Symphony), I would suggest staying with the 2nd movement.

Barber's Adagio for Strings, OP 11, is great, especially if you can find the version that the Vienna Boys Choir did.

Smetana's "Ma Vlast" is wonderfully soothing as well.

Honestly, I have quite of bit of Classical music in my personal library, and absolutely love all of it (I was in Low Brass in HS Band), soft, loud, fast, slow, etc.

I am another fan of Tchaikovsky's ballet suites (Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Romeo&Juliet, Nutcracker). Also his Piano Concerto #1 is one of my all time faves.

Among other suggestions which are not yet mentioned:

Swan by Saint Saens
Meditation de thais by Massenet
Instrumental interpretations of La Traviata and Rigoletto by Verdi
Bolero by Ravel
Instrumental interpretations of Carmen suite by Bizet
Piano concerto #2 by Rachmaninov
Don Quixote by Minkus
Spartacus Adagio by Katchaturian

Well, I see someone's already suggested Vivaldi's Four Seasons, but here's another...Ravel's Bolero. I absolutely love that piece of music. There's also Ferde Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite, it's absolutely stunning! And any cello concerto's you can find. That'll definitely put you in the mello mood. And if you like piano works there is a group of kids out that are absolutely fantastic. They are called 'The 5 Browns' and they now have 2 CD's out and they are both great. These kids are still in their teens, it's going to be a group to watch and hear as they get more mature in their playing. I'm not much for straight piano music, but these kids are great. My sister currently has all my classical CD's (copying them to her ipod), or I'd get you a few more that I love.

Try any and all of Andri Reiu works his music is to dream about. He conducts the strauss orchestra and his music goes from classical to light classical and I have five of his CD's. The best way to discribe his music is LUSH and you can get lost in it. His orchestra plays a lot of the music mentioned in the above post's

tg, this thread has been in the back of my mind for some time. i found an old cd recently, "relaxing with the classics" by the london symphony orchestra, that i thought would fit what you were looking for.

the tunes on the disk were:

1. morning mood from peer gynt suit - grieg
2. canon in d - pachelbel
3. scheherazade - rimsky korsakov
4. polovetsian dance no.2 for prince igor - borodin
5. clair de lune - debussy
6. adagio sostuneto - beethoven
7. venus, bringer of peace, from the planets - holst
8. air from suite no. 3 in d - bach
9. romanze from eine kleine nachtmusik - mozart
10. romeo and juliet fantasy overture - tchaikovsky

alix, i can burn you a copy (i'm not really breaking any copyrights since it was sent to me for free in junk mail) if you'd like. same goes for you tg.

pm me if you're interested.

i still need to send my check out for goodweed's cookbooks.

then i can start burning those for friends too...:rolleyes:

:-p

Back
Top Bottom