Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pork (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   Marinate your bacon? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/marinate-your-bacon-39906.html)

marajo 11-11-2007 10:03 PM

Marinate your bacon?

Friends tell me of a restuarant on the Oregon coast of the town Newport where the bacon is fabulous. According to the clerk the bacon is marinated in a homemade marinade that includes cayenne pepper. Any one ever marinate their bacon?

Cajun Cook 11-11-2007 10:31 PM

I can't wait to see who replies. This has really peaked my interest.

TATTRAT 11-11-2007 10:57 PM

SO long as it is still in slab form, sure, marinate away. I still like good 'ol apple wood smoked though.

Jeff G. 11-12-2007 09:48 AM

After seeing the chicken fried bacon I can believe anything...

Cajun Cook 11-12-2007 11:41 AM

I have heard of brusing bacon slices with mustard, sprinkling them with brown sugar, and then oven frying them. Heard it was really good but haven't tried it yet.

AllenOK 11-12-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajun Cook (Post 506786)
I have heard of brusing bacon slices with mustard, sprinkling them with brown sugar, and then oven frying them. Heard it was really good but haven't tried it yet.

We do something similar at work. Lay out the bacon on a sheet pan, and sprinkle brown sugar and cracked black pepper over the bacon. MMMMMM Good eatin'!

I like the mustard idea. I might have to give that a try. Maybe a specialty sandwich. Hot ham and swiss with a mustard-brown sugar pepper bacon? Or sub out hot turkey? On sourdough? Please don't get me started!

bknox 11-12-2007 01:43 PM

I use our Cracked Pepper dry rub or just freshly cracked pepper. there is something about the bite of black pepper with the wonderfullness of bacon that I love.

Cajun Cook 11-12-2007 03:13 PM

One of my favorite sandwiches is a bacon, pear, and arugla with a bleu cheese schmeer. Got that one from Caprial Pence's first cookbook. My first girlfriend and I use to offer that at our restaurant for lunch. That was way back when but I still make the sammy to this day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenOK (Post 506851)
We do something similar at work. Lay out the bacon on a sheet pan, and sprinkle brown sugar and cracked black pepper over the bacon. MMMMMM Good eatin'!

I like the mustard idea. I might have to give that a try. Maybe a specialty sandwich. Hot ham and swiss with a mustard-brown sugar pepper bacon? Or sub out hot turkey? On sourdough? Please don't get me started!

GB 11-12-2007 03:24 PM

Cajun Cook that sandwich sounds really good!

QSis 11-12-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenOK (Post 506851)

Then what, Allen? You bake it? What oven temp? Do you bake it on a rack or leave it flat on the pan?

Lee

Uncle Bob 11-12-2007 05:17 PM

Well, I just tried 3 strips of thick sliced with rind. One with just cracked black pepper. One with mustard and brown sugar, and one with cracked pepper and brown sugar! I am happy to report..they were all good!!!!:pig: I really couldn't pick a favorite!

Miss Lee, I "cooked" mine at 400* on a cast iron griddle until done.

Barb L. 11-12-2007 05:28 PM

They all sound good Uncle Bob, pass the plate please.

Uncle Bob 11-12-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barb L. (Post 507008)
They all sound good Uncle Bob, pass the plate please.

I'm sowwy, Miss Barb:sad: I eated it all up!:lol:

Cajun Cook 11-12-2007 08:21 PM

Thanx for beta testing Uncle Bob. I have one pack of bacon in the fridge. Gonna try it this weekend.

Uncle Bob 11-12-2007 08:51 PM

You are welcome Cajun Cook! It was a tough job, but somebody had to do it!:ermm:

licia 11-13-2007 08:32 AM

I like the brown sugar/black pepper idea. I'll use it sometime when I'm not making breakfast in a big hurry.

YT2095 11-13-2007 08:48 AM

I`ve done Mustard and sweet Cider, that`s always worked well, but it`s Vital to mix the mustard powder with plain water and leave it a good 20 mins before mixing it with anything else.

marajo 11-15-2007 09:12 AM

I have been told by a acquaintance that she routinely marinates her bacon for 30 minutes in either bbq or hot sauce w/ a bit of citrus, either lemon or oranges.

Twixmixy 08-15-2014 11:02 AM

Curing/Marinating/etc

I want to see if I can revitalize this conversation with this article:
How Does Pork Prepared in Various Ways Affect the Blood | Weston A Price
:chef:

I need to know more about marinating! I don't think I'm quite set up to do curing at this point, but I'm wondering if anyone else has extensive experience marinating pork. :pig:

Let's talk!

Life-Long Cook In Training,
Janet

afterburn25 09-14-2014 11:55 PM

You know I have never thought about that but adding the cayenne pepper to it does sound good.

However I would love to find a way of marinading it in something to give it that maple flavor .