Wednesday dinner plans, November 14th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Dinner last night was wonderful, as per the man. His words, "Honey, I hate to hurt your feelings....but....can I tell you something?" "Um, okay", I said. "That was the best meatloaf you've ever made." Just posted the recipe here:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...loaf-last-nights-dinner-39994.html#post507668

Tonight, it must be something light/er. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, that will get poached in Melinda Lee's fashion, in a sweet and sour sauce using pineapple/green pepper/onion, over steamed white sticky rice. I bombed on the Scottish shortbread that I made yesterday because my mind fell apart while putting together the ingredients using the ration 4/2/1. 4 c flour, 2 sticks butter, 1 c sugar. See where I goofed? Gotta toss it and do 4 c flour, 2 c butter=4 sticks, 1 c sugar. My cookies were very flavorful crumbly dusty bites.:(

What's on your table?

Last edited:
I've have a couple cornish hens marinating in some orange juice, ginger, soy sauce, garlic and maple syrup. I'm going to put along side that some wild rice and peas. Oh and I'm also trying out a recipe I saw in the BHG magazine for a butternut squash soup....I can't wait for this because its something I've always wanted to make.

We're having pot roast. :glare:

Not that I don't like pot roast, but DW won't let me play around and make something new. She has her standard favorites that we seem to make almost every week. Also, she just got this new slow-cooker cookbook and it seems like she only ever wants to cook using the slow cooker. I got to use my cast iron skillet for the first time in a month this morning to sear the pot roast.

Oh well, that's why I play around with new things on the weekends.

lefse. i like the idea of a stuffed meatloaf instead of homogenizing all of the ingredients. i'll have to give this one a try. thanks.

sizz, the marinated game hens sound good. we've always made them very plain, just s&p, because of their tendancy to be a little greasier like brown meat. another one for a future attempt.

gettin' good ideas today. :chef:

last night, dw made absolutely deeelicious frenched lamb chops, home potatoes, and steamed string beans, so tonight i'll grill.

2 pork tenderloins: a teryaki and a thai marinated.
dry rubbed chicken thighs
onions and peppers
eggplant "pucks"

Tonight I have my last photography class, so I think we'll take it easy and have sloppy Joes with chopped peppers and onions alongside buttered peas.

I have Boneless pork chops in Brine with sugar and fenugreek and chili flakes (and a whole bunch of other stuff) marinading now, these will then be rinsed and tossed in fine corn meal and oven cooked on the rack. and served with ranch type shredded salad.

I marinated some braising steak over night in a red-wine marinade and it's been Sloooooooooow cooking for 8 nows now. Wife gets home in about 3 hours so we'll have it after close to 12 hours cooking.

Will have it with loads of mash to soak up the sauce :chef:

Lamb loin chops in mint yogurt sauce, scalloped potatoes, sliced tomatoes & red onions on the side. Yoplait's chocolate yogurt mousse.

Last edited:
Today's Sofie's 2nd birthday! :) She's picked the menu--homemade pizza with spinach and broccoli that she'll help to make, applesauce that we'll make together this afternoon, and cupcakes filled with strawberry ice cream (we did the big super-pink cake this past weekend with family).

I marinated some braising steak over night in a red-wine marinade and it's been Sloooooooooow cooking for 8 nows now. Wife gets home in about 3 hours so we'll have it after close to 12 hours cooking.

Will have it with loads of mash to soak up the sauce :chef:

This sounds heavenly! No cooking here tonight. My 3year-old is spending the night at his grandparent's and DH is working late. So its just a cup of vanilla chai tea and a scone with apple butter for me.

Roasting a chicken with herbs,garlic and butter made in a paste and put under the skin, plus same herbs and some white wine in the cavity. roasted potatoes and a butternut squash in there as well..The squash will get a butter brown sugar, mashed up banana, mix when soft enough. Green salad and rolls.
Going to try my hand at an apricot,pine nut tart and see what happens...
kadesma;)

Beef stew, Sweet potato pie for dessert. It's cold and VERY windy. Gotta warm this place up somehow... Lord knows we may as well fill the fuel oil tank for the house with liquid gold this year, it'd be cheaper to heat with!

We are having guacamole, salsa and chips to start then sloppy joes with side of steamed broccoli. Rasberry pie for dessert.

Salmon pecan crunch, green beans, scalloped potatoes, and a mixture of butternut squash and sweet potato cubes simmered in a little butter, brown sugar (sometimes I use honey), cinnamon, and nutmeg

lamb curry on couscous w/ pita and raitah (leftovers from the weekend...should be even better now!)

Back
Top Bottom