Jamie Oliver - the big debate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Finally, I guess he does measure!!!! We don't get Michael Smith here. I guess when you've been cooking for awhile you do instinctively know what to add. I think it's just called experience. :cool:

My great grandmother, who was an excellent Southern Country cook, always used terms like: pinch, half a pinch, a tad, and a wee tad...she NEVER used a measuring cup...had a certain teacup that she used.....then measured out other ingredients, such as baking powder, salt, in her hand....or used her finger tips for that "half a pinch"....milk was just poured into other ingredients...and her bisquits, cakes, etc...were always wonderful, and the same every time! On non-baked goods, I never measure..but when it comes to baking, I measure precisely! If I don't , I have a total disaster!

ok, i'm new here...i have some catching up to do....hope this discussion isnt closed yet *L*....the first time i ever watched jamie, i too thought BLAIR WITCH...i just cant watch it so i really have no opinion....i am from ontario, too...so i LOVE michael smith....humor, talent, knowledge, great presentation, lots of info...cant beat that.....and julia....my all time fave cookbook, and i do have alot......is BAKING WITH JULIA....i never leave home without it......great reading material when youre not baking....

ummmmmm.....the speech thing bothers me too.....sorry jamie...nothing personal...just a bit distracting.....GO LEAFS!!!!

Adore him and think he's darling.
Like the colorful way he throws his meals together and find him very entertaining.
About his lisp, yea, we all notice it but my husband and I (and this isn't meant to be rude) think his tongue is too big for his mouth which makes that odd sound when he talks. Doesn't bother me. Only thing is, I wish he'd cook more meats instead of so many seafood meals.

I really like Jamie Oliver's recipes, and I've got all his books. I've eaten at his restaurant (15) in London. This is a place where he has taken 15 kids, who were either from problem homes or had other issues, and trained them as chefs. He set the restaurant up as a charity and we watched a series about those kids making it through to the end as trained cooks. I've had some good food there, but I've also had a couple of really ropey meals, too!

http://www.londoneats.com/search/complete.asp?Rest_RestaurantID=3455

It is a rolling programme, ie 15 new kids every year - but I believe the restaurant is in financial trouble at the moment - Jamie has poured a couple of million quid of his own money into the project.

His Dad's pub is near the home of a friend of mine - the food is excellent - it's where Jamie first learned to cook. He then moved onto an Italian restaurant in London and then onto the famous River Cafe - I remember seeing him running about (the kitchens are visible from the restaurant) like a thing possessed - he looked about 12.

He and his wife now have two little girls and he is supposedly cutting back on his workload!

LEFSElover, you're digging deep for these threads! LOL

I still like him - still like is rustic style of cooking and you can see "passion" written all over him.

i like jamie's shows, but i don't think i've ever been inspired to try a recipe or technique he was doing. he seems to just toss things together, and while i'm sure his stuff comes out great, i need more detailed instruction to get things right.

He's OK if you like to watch jail bait cook things (and I believe he can!).

The only thing that bugs me about him is his way of calling all women on his live shows "darling". Sounds a little patronizing to me after about the 10th time.

The Naked Chef

I love watching him.. he makes everything look so easy!
I've got one of his cookbooks and would love to have the rest.

He's got an energy that I really like.

mudbug said:
He's OK if you like to watch jail bait cook things (and I believe he can!).

The only thing that bugs me about him is his way of calling all women on his live shows "darling". Sounds a little patronizing to me after about the 10th time.

ITA

In a movie or a regular TV show, I like a nice accent -- but not when I am watching a cooking show! I want to hear and understand everything, but my brain is always 2 sentences behind [trying to translate], and it is too much work!

I love how he does things AND his accent.. that is what makes the world go around, different opinions.

I guess I'm lucky in being able to understand lots of forms of English as she is spoken around the world.

To me it is all fascinating and wonderful to hear my native tongue stretched and pulled in so many different directions.

bug, i dare you to translate a conversation between natives of belfast. they barely open their mouths, and speak remarkably fast. same goes for 2 scots...

buckytom said:
bug, i dare you to translate a conversation between natives of belfast. they barely open their mouths, and speak remarkably fast. same goes for 2 scots...
LOL :LOL: :LOL: I'm dying.. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom