Ohhh what to cook??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rom

Sous Chef
I have no problem ever deciding what to cook for a dinner party...BUT i have had like over a week to decide and I still have NO IDEA, its not even a formal dinner or anything (! ARGHH

Basically :pig: and Mooooooo are OUT

Things that might or might not be on the menu

Some sort of "red sauce" pasta/spaghetti/maccaroni/fettucine
or a soup
or Lasagne
Butter chicken
lamb meatballs on the side of something
roast duck/rabbit/lamb/turkey forequarter
maybe something tikka related on the side lol
obviously some sort of salad

don't know if should have some sort of indian/italian influence
bf = indian, me =italian/aussie
guests = greek and italian

what in the world can i do for dessert - theres like 50million desserts out there and my mind has gone blank

it's like i forgot what i can cook all of a sudden :mad::ohmy: - thinking about other things i guess, dinner party last thing on my mind.

Sorry i am just rambling, thinking my thinking process out loud....what to come up with who knows...I am sure nothing will match LOL

If you had to go to someone's house for dinner what would you feel like eating (I should ask myself the same thing)

:unsure:

I don't know what "butter chicken" is, but I like the sounds of it.

How about making some traditional American dishes?

A couple of ideas:

Waldorf Salad
Spinach Salad (with bacon and hard boiled eggs)

Chicken and Dumplings
Fried Chicken with Macaroni and Cheese

Apple Pie and Vanilla Ice Cream for dessert
Boston Creme Pie
NY Cheesecake

Lee

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

Butter Chicken, in Australia is a very popular Indian Dish (seems thats all anyone knows hahaha) - Just confirmed with the guest, they do like Indian food LOL

Chicken and Dumplings - i'll search around the forum is i can see exactly what that is.
Boston Creme Pie, that sounds interesting - might have a look at whats involved lol never had it before.
I make Cheesecake which everyone loves, but my bf is not a cheesecake fan....lol

Rom,

There are as many recipes for Chicken and Dumplings as there are cooks. It's a delicious chicken stew, and my favorite dumplings are the homemade "noodles". Old-fashioned comfort food, but not at all highly seasoned, so keep that in mind. The key is to make a rich, savory broth.

Here's one like I make:Chicken and Dumplings Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

Boston Cream Pie is a vanilla cake with vanilla pudding in the middle, and a chocolate ganache on top. Here's a picture Google Image Result for http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Massachusetts/boston_cream_pie.jpg

Have fun!

Lee

QSis said:
There are as many recipes for Chicken and Dumplings as there are cooks. It's a delicious chicken stew, and my favorite dumplings are the homemade "noodles". Old-fashioned comfort food, but not at all highly seasoned, so keep that in mind. The key is to make a rich, savory broth.

Pass the Cornbread please!!!!

Think about Shrimp Lasagna....Yummy!

Last edited:
Not too long ago I made Curried Chicken for several guests. EVERYONE enjoyed, so much that even someone who doesnt eat chicken came back for more. it's simple but very good and filling. since it's a bit heavy I would do a big fruit salad for dessert and maybe some sorbet.

LOL...hmm chicken and dumplings....will have to look at this at home...link blocked by work of course, something not heavy in the beginning is good because no eats anything later LOL

OH man Shrimp lasagne??? I just got real hungry LOL

Butter chicken is a strong contender for saturday lol

edit: um...should i say "darnit" then in place of the stars?

Last edited by a moderator:
With your curried chicken do u use individual spices or actual curry powder? i make something with curry powder but mines not very exciting lol

I use both indivdual spices and curry powder. if you'd like a loose recipe I could give it to you. I say loose because I use two curry recipes I found online that I combined and then still add my own touches. but, it's super easy and delicious.

Rom, think about the weather before you decide your dishes. Guests won't want to eat a heavy meal if it's warm or humid and you won't want to be spending your time in a hot kitchen cooking.

If it is warm, why not do something like a mezze plate for opening (catering to the Greeks), either the butter chicken or a tikka dish form (for the B/F), and a nice Italian dessert like tiramisu. All simple, all relatively quick dishes and very low stress.

If it hasn't got that warm where you are yet, why not start with a laksa, have a seafood pasta, and bake a mango tart for dessert with icecream, cream or custard.

we decided last nite on butter chicken and tikka and roast turkey hindquarter (for some reason in my post i kept calling it a forequarter- why? i don' t know!!! (my guest wanted to try that) and my bf has to have meatballs or else lol. everything is nice and mismatched lol but well variety for everyone hahahaha, maybe soup before that. actually i could make marinara, bought the seafood stuff the other day and it looks good...

dessert is still iffy, was thinking of cannoli stuffed with homemade custard and cream.
mango tart sounds interesting, she made some sort of tiramisu last time we went there for dinner lol...mmmmmmmmmmmm tiramisuuuuu mmmmmm

nothing matches in this dinner...but i don't care lol..

thanks for the ideas everyone...i think i might be done (still thinking bout dessert)...can't change my mind anymore...drove my bf crazy last nite trying to think of what to cook LOL!!

An eclectic dinner sounds like a great, relaxed time, with everyone having some of their favorites!

Have fun, Rom!

Lee

A really nice, light dessert is:

Mix sour cream and light brown sugar together. Use enough brown sugar to create a nice caramel color and a nice caramel flavor - you'll just have to taste until you are happy.

Take some green grapes and mix in sour cream mixture and let sit in fridge for the day. Make sure your grapes are dry though and not still wet from washing them. This looks really good in wine glasses.

thats it QSis,

Rom's ECLECTIC Dinner

Soup
Butter Chicken
Chicken Tikka
Roast turkey
Meatballs
things on the side
grapes and sour cream lol OR mango tart OR cheesecake OR cannoli LOLLLLLLLL

That sounds cool kitchenelf!!!!!, no way would i have thought of it!!!!

Why not make mini desserts and give people a buffet choice? The first three can be done quite simply, don't know about the cannoli. Do the grape fool in those big shot glasses, make the cheesecake bases with a biscuit cutter and use soft cardboard to form the sides, (removing before serving of course), make the mango tarts in a shallow cupcake tin (not a muffin tin). Gives it a novelty factor, and the first three dishes are quick and easy to do, everyone can have a bit of everything and you cater for different tastes.

OMG mars bar fondue......*so drooling right now* i would probably be the only one to eat that...come to think of it what a gr8 idea more for me ;) ahahah JOKES

is that whats its called? a fool?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom