Eating off the bone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
My mother could spend half a hour gnawing on a steak or lamb chop bone. I must admit, I am my mother's daughter. I prefer all meat to be roasted and served on the bone. All the flavour comes from the bones..:chef: I mentioned in another thread that I have a collection of all the lamb chop bones I've taken from various restaurants. Consider that I'm more vampyre than human, it makes perfect sense that I'd prefer rare meat, still on the bone. But, how many of you will actually work on that bone in public? I will...no problem.

Any one else prefer the meat on the bone??

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! Looooooooooove meat on the bone and will unashamedly eat it in public. "Let them eat cake."

Oh, I'll eat that with my fingers, too, if need be.

I relish the legs of our holiday turkey. Bonus...it even gives me a built-in toothpick. Long live King Henry VIII.

I'm a bone in person, too. My butcher offers rib steak bone-in on Fridays and Saturdays and I am usually there for them. Lamb chops, likewise. Gnaw the bone? I have no compunctions, public or not; it's the best part. I don't go so far as to collect bones, though...

I'm a gnaw the meat on the bone girl too. Give me the piece of chicken with the most bones and that's my favorite. I LOVE to pick at the back and neck, along with the part of the breast that is bonier than the other part - though I prefer the dark meat. A rare t-bone that still has some marrow is certainly a bonus or a nice piece of bone-in rare roast beef....bone-in pork chops, nice and thick!!!!

I do, however, have a problem with gnawing in public when at a nice restaurant. Well, with reckless abandon anyway. I have been known to take the bones home and "have at it". When at our favorite bar type places the poor wings don't stand a chance though - and give me the part with the two bones, someone else can have the drumette/leg part.

OK - collection of bones? Where do you keep these bones VB? Now you've got me curious!

:)I love to gnaw bones I dont care where I am.I remember my my grand father in Germany gnawing on big bones and sucking out the marrow.The marrow is awsome Ive been been trying to make a great soup that my grandmother made in Germany its made with beef shank and root vegetables you scrape the marrow out and melt it mix with bread crumbs etc and make these great dumplings to go with soup.Absolutly delicious but I have yet to refine it.She also added something called gruen corn? I think its spelt not sure.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Much like kitchenelf i LOVE chicken bones lol lamb bones are gooood too.
don't chew them in public though. don't think i eat them at restaurants lol.

VeraBlue said:
I mentioned in another thread that I have a collection of all the lamb chop bones I've taken from various restaurants.

Gris Gris ??:ermm:

I buy predominately bone-in meats for superior taste & flavor. I am a bone gnawer, but not a collector.;)

:)I love to gnaw bones I dont care where I am.I remember my my grand father in Germany gnawing on big bones and sucking out the marrow.The marrow is awsome Ive been been trying to make a great soup that my grandmother made in Germany its made with beef shank and root vegetables you scrape the marrow out and melt it mix with bread crumbs etc and make these great dumplings to go with soup.Absolutly delicious but I have yet to refine it.She also added something called gruen corn? I think its spelt not sure.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My Papa, grandpa, was Austrian/Croatian and called the marrow "music." When we had soup he always encouraged us to eat the music. Yum.

Grandma, Maga, always made the most wonderful soups. I can still taste them.

Don't tend to order things with bones in when I'm out as a rule, so a moot point. At home, definitely a gnawer. And when it comes to marrow in the bones, I'm a sucker and stabber too!!

It totally depends on the situation ... in a fine dining restaurant, one where a coat is mandatory - or one where after-5 attire is more appropriate, then no. Of course, in a place like that - if the meal has a marrow bone, they generally also include a small knife or fork to extricate that luscious meat jelly.

If it's a place where the only dress code is you have to wear a shirt and shoes ... then I'm likely to pick it up and gnaw away with the rest of the Neanderthals crouched around in their family units.

Of course, fried chicken is meant to be eaten with the hands - along with BBQ ribs and chicken.

One of the reasons I want to go to Toronto is to find the restaurant that Rachal Ray visited that has marrow bones on the menu. Grandma used to get them from her brothers when they slaughtered a cow - she got them to cut them into about 2-inch pieces, then she would roast them, and she and I would make a meal of them with crispy dry toast triangles. That was not just comfort food - that was good eats!

OK - collection of bones? Where do you keep these bones VB? Now you've got me curious!

I bring them home and boil them to be sure all the meat is removed...and then place them in a jar. Several of the restaurants will even wrap them in linen napkins for me.... It's quite decadent, indeed.:angel:

I can surely understand why some would want to eschew gnawing in public...but they way I look at it...if it's served on the bone, then I'm going to do that bone right.
Lou and I once dined at a restaurant called Wheatley in New Hampshire (I believe....) We were 4 couples and the bill came to close to $1500. Not only did we enjoy the bones as we would at home...we declared the entire meal to be flatware free. It was quite the scandalous spectacle, but we loved it, and it made the memory of the evening that much more enjoyable.

I can surely understand why some would want to eschew gnawing in public...but they way I look at it...if it's served on the bone, then I'm going to do that bone right.
Lou and I once dined at a restaurant called Wheatley in New Hampshire (I believe....) We were 4 couples and the bill came to close to $1500. Not only did we enjoy the bones as we would at home...we declared the entire meal to be flatware free. It was quite the scandalous spectacle, but we loved it, and it made the memory of the evening that much more enjoyable.
For close to $400 they should have wrapped your bones in a linen tablecloth. I prefer to bring one of my own knives, a Laguiole for example, to do the gnawing.

I love gnawing on the bone, at home and in public. One of the local chefs -at a very high end resto- encourages the bone gnawing / sucking as "that's where the flavour is".

On the topic of Marrow... My local butcher makes 'marrow butter' - a mixture of marrow, butter, and herbs, that you place on top of a grilled steak while it rests just before serving. Heaven on your plate!

G.

Don't tend to order things with bones in when I'm out as a rule, so a moot point. At home, definitely a gnawer. And when it comes to marrow in the bones, I'm a sucker and stabber too!!

I like Bilby's description better than anything I would have come up and cuz it's the truth anyway!!! :) I love the marrow. YUMMO!!!

When we do prime rib for Christmas, I have them cut the bone away but tie it back on - I get the bones !! Also Monday nights (Girls night out) we go to a neighborhood bar for their .25 wings - the girls laugh at be for cleaning the bones to nothing left. They all watch and take pictures ! So funny, but I love em' ! I am with you all that love to gnaw - the best !!

Yup Yup and Yup, I collect also.

as an Infant I teethed on Chicken bones too (as well as Coal) I have No idea Why I was allowed to do that?

YT, I'll bet your little mouth was...black as coal. LOL!

I love to pick and gnaw on the bones too. My whole supper the other night was the turkey carcass. When we have spareribs, I've even been know to sneak bones off my husband's plate.

I chewed on the bone as a kid, and still do it today. I also lick the plate to get all those meat juices!!!

As a kid, it was not uncommon to see me walking around with a tbone in hand, or one of my favorites was a round steak bone. I love the velvety marrow in the center!!! Yes, I still do it today, hubby gets a kick out of it. I will do it at a restaurant if the need arises, and have no problem eating with my fingers!

Bring on the bones.... there is always so much good eating left on those things!!!!

My mother could spend half a hour gnawing on a steak or lamb chop bone. I must admit, I am my mother's daughter. I prefer all meat to be roasted and served on the bone. All the flavour comes from the bones..:chef: I mentioned in another thread that I have a collection of all the lamb chop bones I've taken from various restaurants. Consider that I'm more vampyre than human, it makes perfect sense that I'd prefer rare meat, still on the bone. But, how many of you will actually work on that bone in public? I will...no problem.

Any one else prefer the meat on the bone??

I do! much more flavor! Musta got it from my Gram, who loved to gnaw on the chicken feet when they came out of the soup!

I've never understood the glamour of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I usually add the word "tasteless" to the description!) The same recipe, with the breast cooked on the bone, will yield a much tastier dish -- all else being equal.

I also ran across a long ago quote from Emily Post that said that meat served on the bone was meant to be picked up! :D I'll drink to that! :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom