TNT - Grandma's Buttered Noodles & Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
This is a dish I grew up with, from my Hungarian Grandma. It is not an actual "recipe" as there are no exact measurements. I've shared the idea and story so many times in discussions, but never posted the idea/recipe.

When I was growing up my grandma made this dish, either when it was too hot to cook/turn on the oven - or a quick meal. I still make it to this day, & always smile when I think of her.

Boil about a pkg of broad egg noodles & drain. Add salt & pepper & a good dose of butter. Stir the butter into the hot cooked noodles until the butter is melted. Mix in cold cottage cheese & eat it while the noodles are still hot.

My grandma may have used pot cheese or farmer cheese (don't recall). I use low fat small curd cottage cheese.

If you're feeling really wild & adventurous, lol, sprinkle some Paprika over the top. Get a fork and eat out of the pot when no one is looking. ;)

I have a recipe for homemade egg noodles. Someday, when I have a chance will have to give it a try for this dish.

Note: The dish does not reheat well, as the cottage cheese gets gluey/sticky. So... eat it all while it's hot. I've used spaghetti in place of the broad egg noodles, but it's not really the same.

Last edited:
Amy, my Polish relatives used to call this "kluski", which is just the Polish word for "noodles". I'm quite sure that they used farmer's cheese, but ricotta would be a good substitute. Or, as you said, cottage cheese, but I'd drain it through cheesecloth overnight before mixing it in.

It might not sound good to someone who hasn't tried it, but it really is delicious!

Also, I recall some fried diced onions and probably the ubiquitous fried out diced salt pork, too. :) I should make some - I LOVED it!

Lee

It is a staple on the lazy day in my house. I use whatever noodles I have at home, more often than not it is elbow macaroni. And I use framer cheese or home made cheese that is very much reminds the farmer’s cheese. The main thing is to make sure the noodles are still very hot.

Grandma' Recipes

Thanks amy for thinking of us and sharing your 'Grandma's' recipe. She must have really been good cook and you enjoyed her dishes. She would be happy to know you are thinking of her and sharing them with us. Sounds very easy and good. When everyone so busy at this time of year, I will surely use this when we are pressed for time and do not want to go to fast food place.

I only have to make sure to get the farmer's cheese as that seems to make it sound better. No fan of cottage cheese, maybe we eat too much of it already.
Anyway, thanks.

Back when I didn't have to watch my Carb intake, I would cook egg noodles and cover with garlic butter, and a few turns of pepper! :rolleyes: Never did the cheese part. Think I will try it with cheese. Just a small portion!:angel:

That sounds really good. It's so simple... I think I might pick up some egg noodles and farmer's cheese while grocery shopping tomorrow. :chef:

Dad used to do the buttered noodles too...instead of cheese though he'd add WAY TOO much ketchup.

I like the sound of cheese much better.

My mum used to make something like this with Ricotta, and parmesan. Sounds good :)

Thanks for the replies, guys. The combo of cottage cheese, egg noodles & butter may sound odd, but it's very tasty. Hope you'll give it a try. Enjoy.

ETA:... with a slice of rye or pumpernickle bread slathered with butter. ;)

Last edited:
Dad used to do the buttered noodles too...instead of cheese though he'd add WAY TOO much ketchup.

I like the sound of cheese much better.

Wow, I thought I was part of the only family that ate ketchup on buttered noodles. Some nights, when my mom was too tired to fix anything big we had "spaghetti and butter". Saute onions and garlic in butter, add to spaghetti and then add ketchup... I get cravings for it to this day lol.

Well thanks to this thread and one from yesterday, I scratched my chicken parmesan, on account of DH not being here and it would be a waste of chicken on my children, and went with my Hungarian roots and made noodles w/ cottage cheese, parmesan, garlic powder salt pepper and a little half and half.

Now the drool is gone and I can move on!!!!

Had to go to a specialty grocery store for the farmer's cheese... SOOOOO GOOOOD!!!!!! Thanks for a new way to satisfy that "I'm really hungry but I don't know what I want" craving! :D

Had to go to a specialty grocery store for the farmer's cheese... SOOOOO GOOOOD!!!!!! Thanks for a new way to satisfy that "I'm really hungry but I don't know what I want" craving! :D

So glad you liked the dish.

Suzie - Parmesan cheese? How will you get into Hungarian grandma heaven.:ermm:
6pegpa97z6ubluepvmdjmqu7.jpg
:huh:

PDS - ketchup? No, no, no no, no. :ohmy::LOL:

As long as you enjoyed it, that's what counts. (I think? Oh, well, lol)

Last edited:
This 'farmer's cheese', is it something I can find at my major chain grocery stores? Or is it truly cottage cheese.

I will admit that it sounds strange, but I have found that it is the strange sounding dishes that turn out to be my favorites!!! Buttered egg noodles are the bomb, so adding a good dose of cheese does not sound that far off base!

This 'farmer's cheese', is it something I can find at my major chain grocery stores? Or is it truly cottage cheese.

I will admit that it sounds strange, but I have found that it is the strange sounding dishes that turn out to be my favorites!!! Buttered egg noodles are the bomb, so adding a good dose of cheese does not sound that far off base!

I'm curious as well, sattie. I've never seen it, but haven't actually looked. This might help.

Farmer cheese

LOL I don't think I was getting to Hungarian Gramma heaven anyway, I ended up mostly German somehow!
And from what her children tell me, I'm thinking she's not there anyway........
OK! Back to subject....
I'll have to try farmer cheese next time, It's always been cottage.

I would actually compare it to ricotta. It's very tasty. Where I live our chain grocery stores lack in anything unique. I go to a place called The Fresh Market when I'm after something ethnic or hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom