ISO Baguette Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeekins,
I assume you mean a french baguette? If so all you do is make a recipe of french bread and shape the loaves to a smaller around longer size. And, yes
bread dough can be frozen. Either shaped or left in a ball. Wrap well and freeze..I don't leave the dough frozen much longer than 2 - 3 weeks.
kadesma

The dough is different from the "French bread" and "Baguette" at my supermarket.
What do you mean the dough is different? Are you speaking about already made dough in the freezer case? Or are you planning to make your own dough? The dough I make can be used for just about anything.
kadesma

See the different textures? I like the one on the top. I want to make my own.

baguette1.jpg

baguette_2.jpg

I see, that is more of an artisinal bread...Let me see what I can find..Some of our bakers here might have an idea for you too.
kadesma

The top photo that you have has what is called an "open crumb". This is achieved by making a relatively wet dough. (more water to flour). The crust on the the top photo is achieved by introducing steam in the oven during the start of baking.

There are whole cook books dedicated to just making bread. A good starting place is "The Breadbaker's Apprentice" by Reinhart and a slightly more techincal one called "Bread A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes" by Hamelman.

If you want to start experimenting with bread, check this out:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...recipe-what-fun-28893.html?highlight=ny+bread

You can get surprisingly good results by following the instructions. The only thing is that you need to use an oven proof vessel of some sort. The oven proof pot solves the problem of steaming the dough when it cooks in a relatively safe and effective way. It isn't exactly like baguettes but you get a nice crust, and with a wet dough and careful folding that doesn't deflate too much, you can get an open crumb.

Back
Top Bottom