Who used to eat "Tom yum goong"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffary

Assistant Cook
to people :

Who used to eat Tom Yum Goong?
It's thai food.

How often you eat it?

Where you eat it?

and it ok with you?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
hello giffary.

i like to eat tom yum, goong and gai. i prefer goong.

i used to eat it weekly, but do not have a restaurant that makes good tom yum near where i live. i am sure to have the soup whenever i fell sickly as the herbs and spiciness seem to help.
the little blobs of spiced fat that float on the surface of the broth are the key.

i've made it at home from a paste from a jar that was good, but would love to make from scratch. do you have an authentic thai recipe? thanks in advance for posting it.

Last edited:
My husband and I loved Thai food and in restaurants always started our meal with a huge pot of Tom Yom Gai (chicken). We preferred that to the coconut version Tom Ka Gai, although that one is heavenly too. I learned how to make Tom Yom Gai at home and it is exactly like the restaurant version using the same ingredients. This is without a doubt, one of my favorite soups. I love it hot and spicy.
The fish sauce, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves are imperative as is the cilantro. These make the soup pungent and delicious.

Last edited:
Hey DramaQueen, do you have a recipe for your Tom Yom Gai soup? I order a veggie version at our Thai take-out but want to make my own. I tried a recipe I found online (without chicken since I'm a veggie) but it had wayyy to much fish sauce and came out horrible!

I have it several times a year. It's a must order for us when we visit a Thai restaurant. I haven't made it at home yet, but have been planning to for the past few weeks, I just need to remember to get the ingredients when I go to the store. I have not tried the tom yom gai soup, but it sound good.

Hey DramaQueen, do you have a recipe for your Tom Yom Gai soup? I order a veggie version at our Thai take-out but want to make my own. I tried a recipe I found online (without chicken since I'm a veggie) but it had wayyy to much fish sauce and came out horrible!

Rich chicken broth and chunks of chicken are essential for this recipe. If you use vegetable broth and leave out the chicken and shrimp you will wind up with a different tasting soup so I can't vouch for what happens there. Here is the recipe I use. It's from the owner of our favorite Thai restuarant and the soup is awesome made exactly as written: I wrap the lemon grass in cheesecloth so I can remove it easily before serving.

TOM YOM GAI

6 - 8 cups rich chicken broth
1/2 lb. chicken breast sauteed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 lb. medium shrimp peeled
2 stalks lemon grass cut into 2 inch pieces
2 inches of fresh peeled ginger cut into thirds
4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
8 kaffir lime leaves (lime juice alone will not give the right flavor)
1 small can straw mushrooms or 8 button mushrooms sliced and sauteed lightly
3 Tbsp. fish sauce (important)
1/2 tsp. sugar
6 red birdseye chilis bruised but left whole
8 sprigs very fresh cilantro bruised

In a large pot, add chicken broth, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, and lemon grass. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.

Add chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar.

Cook slowly for 10 minutes, then add chilies and cilantro.

Stir while simmering for 5 more minutes. Remove lemon grass. Serve immediately.

For TOM KA GAI, just add 1 can coconut milk (NOT coconut cream) when adding chilies. Be sure to shake the can well. Kaffir lime leaves can be purchased at any Asian market or online by googling "kaffir lime leaves."

Last edited:
DQ -- your soup is technically Tom Yom Gai Goong? No? :)

I make mine very similarly except that I let the broth simmer for longer and I always add some Thai chili paste. It gives it a depth of flavor and a bit of heat. It's what gives that reddish sheen on the soup when you order it in a restaurant.

I also remove all the aromatics (lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger, garlic) before serving.

I usually make up a lot of broth and then portion it and freeze it.

I have over 100 lemongrass stalks in the freezer from my garden, so maybe I will make this my weekend project.

I picked up a packet of Tom Yam Chili Paste and am using the recipe on the back of it.

1 (25g) packet Tom Yam chili paste, prawns, 20g galangal (or ginger), s stems lemongrass, 1 small chili, coiander, 1T. of fish sauce, 1 green lemon, mushrooms, and 1 chicken cube.
Boil 60cl of water and add chicken cube. Add sliced galangal, lemongrass, crushed chili and coriander. Bring to boil. Add prawns, mushrooms, fish sauce, and lemon juice. Then add the chili paste and simmer for 1 minute.

My question is first how much is 60cl of water? I'm not use to this measurement and couldn't seem to find it online. Also 2 stalks of lemongrass seemed like quite a bit, do you need that much to get the flavor?
-I'm planning on simmering the soup not boiling it like the instructions say.

DQ -- your soup is technically Tom Yom Gai Goong? No? :)

I make mine very similarly except that I let the broth simmer for longer and I always add some Thai chili paste. It gives it a depth of flavor and a bit of heat. It's what gives that reddish sheen on the soup when you order it in a restaurant.

I also remove all the aromatics (lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger, garlic) before serving.

I usually make up a lot of broth and then portion it and freeze it.

I have over 100 lemongrass stalks in the freezer from my garden, so maybe I will make this my weekend project.

Not sure about the "goong" part but the soup is terrific. I just remove the cheesecloth with the lemon grass and work around the rest of the stuff but we don't eat it.

You can also use chili oil to give the soup that sheen and heat.

I picked up a packet of Tom Yam Chili Paste and am using the recipe on the back of it.

1 (25g) packet Tom Yam chili paste, prawns, 20g galangal (or ginger), s stems lemongrass, 1 small chili, coiander, 1T. of fish sauce, 1 green lemon, mushrooms, and 1 chicken cube.
Boil 60cl of water and add chicken cube. Add sliced galangal, lemongrass, crushed chili and coriander. Bring to boil. Add prawns, mushrooms, fish sauce, and lemon juice. Then add the chili paste and simmer for 1 minute.

My question is first how much is 60cl of water? I'm not use to this measurement and couldn't seem to find it online. Also 2 stalks of lemongrass seemed like quite a bit, do you need that much to get the flavor?
-I'm planning on simmering the soup not boiling it like the instructions say.

2 stalks sounds about right.

Also a "green lemon" is a lime :chef:

Your're absolutely right. I had forgotten that goong is shrimp, although in most Thai restaurants the Tom Yom Gai has shrimp added to it. So do my Thai cookbooks.

Hmmmm. I've never been in a Thai restaurant where they put shrimp in chicken Tom Yum. They are always alternatives to each other on the menu. Plus I would think that would be a liability problem, as shrimp is such a common food allergen.

Thanks to this thread, I had some last night, in fact, from the hole-in-the-wall Thai place nearby. Mine is a lot better but I was feeling exceptionally lazy.

My next project is making Vietnamese hot/sour soup which is actually also sweet, with pineapple in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom