How do I make chicken soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidefx

Assistant Cook
I baked a chicken for dinner the other night and have the whole chicken with a lot of meat still on it.

I was thinking of turning it into chicken soup and was wondering if all I need to do is just put the whole thing in a pot with potatoes, noodles and carrots and boil it until it becomes soup or is there something more?

I boil my chicken/bones to make a broth.
After straining ( to remove bones) I add the veggies.
Don't add noodles. Cook them alone and place in bowls. Pour soup over top of noodles.
(they don't get mushy this way.

Do you like chicken n biscuits? :) Seems to be a popular choice around here lately :chef:

Whatever you make you're going to have to take the meat off the carcass first anyway. It won't just fall off by boiling it.
But it does come off easier when hot. You just end up burning your fingers.

Since your chicken is already baked you will have completely different tasting soup. The only time I use baked chicken is when I make Mexican chicken soup.

I would take the meat off the bones and reserve.

Take the carcass and make a stock with a mirepoix, roughly chopped.

Strain. Keep the liquid.

Add more veggies to the stock and let cook for a bit. After a while add the reserved chicken.

And that is it. It you want to add pasta or noodles agreewith pdswife's technique.

There are many variations on chicken soup. I like making the stock with some mirepoix and then cooking with some new veggies. Some folks think that makes it more of a veggie soup than a chicken one.

I like it.

But then there are many ways to make a chicken soup with just raw chicks.

They are all good.

I take the chicken off the bone, cut up the meat and set it aside.

In enough water to just cover it all, boil the bones and any skin, a quartered onion (leave the peel on), a couple of stalks of celery, a couple of carrots (celery and carrots are just cut in thirds), a couple of cloves of garlic, a bay leaf, a sprig of "parsley, rosemary and thyme" (if you have them) and a few peppercorns.

Strain the broth. Chill overnight and remove fat.

When you make the soup, heat up the broth, add nicely sliced carrots and celery and cook till tender. Add in the chopped chicken meat and just heat through.

Pour over separately cooked noodles, as pdswife said, or rice, or orzo, or tortellini, whatever.

This works well with a turkey carcass, too.

And as Charlie said, it won't be the same as making chicken soup with raw chicken, but it's pretty darn good and I do it all the time!

Lee

I make my chicken soup very much like I make chicken stock. Put the carcass in a pot, add water, some celery tops (the kind with leaves), a large onion (quartered), a couple of chunks of scrubbed carrots, a little dried thyme, and some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and simmer until the meat begins to fall off the bone.

At this point, I strain everything and return the broth to the pot, pick the meat off the bone and add it to the pot with the broth, along with some cubed potatoes, cubed carrots, diced (large dice) celery, coarsely chopped onion, sliced fresh mushrooms, some white wine and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender. When they're cooked, I add a handful of frozen baby peas, some white wine and a bunch of homemade noodles. Let cook for about 10 to 15 minutes to cook the peas and noodles and serve.

My chicken soup is more like chicken stew, but I've never had anyone turn down a bowl and I rarely have leftovers.

Last edited:
How long should I boil the chicken carcass before removing it?

quick soup

I baked a chicken for dinner the other night and have the whole chicken with a lot of meat still on it.

I was thinking of turning it into chicken soup and was wondering if all I need to do is just put the whole thing in a pot with potatoes, noodles and carrots and boil it until it becomes soup or is there something more?

a couple days ago i made soup using leftover turkey meat (froze it after thanksgiving.) it will work well with chicken

you will need cooked chicken, u bake, store bakes which ever. chop in big bite size pieces.three cups

i saute 1 cup diced onions and celery with poultry seasoning in 1/2 cup butter. reserve

mix up three packages of roasted turkey gravy according to directions.

put chicken and onions, celery into crock pot. pour gravey mix in. add 1/2 package crinkle cut carrots bout two cups. add two handfulls of soy beans
if u need more liquid to cover use chicken broth. cover and cook on low about three hours. in the last half hour add wide egg noodles about two cups.

cook just til noodles are done and tender. enjoy

babetoo

forgot use poultry seasoning in the soup as well . to taste

Whenever I used a pre-cooked chicken to make soup (or turkey for that matter) I always find that I get a little less flavor in the broth than with a raw bird. So I usually top up the liquid with a little stock that I made before or perhaps bought.

The question was asked about how long to boil. The answer is not to boil, but to simmer for about an hour. Boiling simply coagulates the fat, which blocks the colagen from releasing into the water. Colagen is the water-soluble protein that carries most of the flavor in the broth, so you want to avoid getting the chicken too hot too quickly. Gently raise the temperature from cold to simmering, without ever getting to a full boil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom