Santoku vs Chef's knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
I seem to see santokus a lot on food network shows. What can they do that plaid old chef's knives can't do? Or is it just a preference? The Wikipedia articles say the santoku started out as a modified chef's knife & is used mostly on fish, vegetables & meat. The chef's knife started out as a butcher's knife & is used for more than the santoku because of the angle on the edge. Which does everyone prefer?

240px-Santoku_knife.jpg

vs
300px-Chef%27s_Knife.jpg
?

A cool idea I read on Wikipedia is to make the tip area as sharp as possible (for mincing, etc) & give the middle part a longer-lasting edge for general use.

A big part of it is personal preference. Comfort in use is a factor in preference.

The cutting/chopping motion is a little different from that with the chef's knife. Also, the chef's knife blade is often thicker/heavier.

Either will work in the majority of cases. Let your comfort level decide.

img_520781_0_4bb788d50e44376fc254d194ca01c543.jpg

This is what I've been using. I got it before they became very popular, hence the lack of cullens. I like my chef's knife, too, but I reach for the santoku more often.

the hollow grinds (culens) are said to allow for easy release of foods but I find that is not true by and large. Recently read that the grinds are to prevent food from tearing as you slice it thinly (meat fish cheese etc) and that I do find true.

The santoku posted by the original poster is a santoku. They have a flat blade, not curved. The new santoku's are more like hybrid santoku/chef knives. I can chop veggies, remove the stem of a tomato and break down a chicken all with my chef knife.

...don't tell anyone, but they open stock cans pretty good too.:cool:

The wikipedia thing said genuine santokus don't have the dents in them, and the best of the best are made with a laminate blade, like a samurai sword I guess.

Those are hand made damascus blades. If you have a coupla grand to shell out on a knife, be my guest.:LOL:

I think Santokus became popular because of popularization of Japanese cuisine. I might be wrong of course. It seems that Santokus have replaced what cleaver used to be in European kitchens. Just lie all of a sadden Sushi has become a staple for so many restaurants. So did santoku knives became staple in many of our kitchens. Though I have 2 of them I tend to reach for chef’s knife or a cleaver more. Also I think the original Japanese knife might be some what different than the ones we see in stores now. Now the question is if I am right about it being Japanese, maybe I’m wrong on that one.

Oh, speaking of opening cans. Years ago I went to Bukka, and they served the big platter on the top of canned tomatoes. So I asked waiter if tomatoes were also for us. So he laughed in my face and said:” sure if you can open it…”

Ha-ha-ha, was I laughing when I was looking at his twisted face when he came back and so me opening the can with the knife that was on the table, what is it knife called, you know knife and fork, the regular stuff. He could never imagine that the dull knife like that can be used to open a can. I guess he never was in the Soviet army.

Oh, speaking of opening cans. Years ago I went to Bukka, and they served the big platter on the top of canned tomatoes. So I asked waiter if tomatoes were also for us. So he laughed in my face and said:” sure if you can open it…”

Ha-ha-ha, was I laughing when I was looking at his twisted face when he came back and so me opening the can with the knife that was on the table, what is it knife called, you know knife and fork, the regular stuff. He could never imagine that the dull knife like that can be used to open a can. I guess he never was in the Soviet army.
Back in the days when the US Army had it's own cooks (instead of contractors / catering services), like during the Korean War and the early days of the VietNam War, many army cooks opened their #10 cans with their cooks knife. Considering the quantities of food they prepared, it wasn't half bad. I still miss the Army's New Year's day breakfasts of black eyed beans. Wish I had the recipe.

What can they do that plaid old chef's knives can't do? Or is it just a preference?
They can pretty much both be used for the same things and it really does come down to preference.

A chefs knife is better suited to a rocking motion than the santoku, but you can still rock with a santoku.

I have both and reach my my chefs knive about 8o-90 percent of the time.

They can pretty much both be used for the same things and it really does come down to preference.

A chefs knife is better suited to a rocking motion than the santoku, but you can still rock with a santoku.

I have both and reach my my chefs knive about 8o-90 percent of the time.
From what I've read a chef's knife is better for more heavy-duty stuff because its blade is thicker & isn't as likely to lose its edge. At home though they seem to be used for pretty much the same things though.

CharlieD said:
How did you do that? I worked in a restaurant where the chef was in the Canadian military & he opened a big can of olive oil with the heel of a kitchen knife. I guess that isn't very interesting though...

Back in the days when the US Army had it's own cooks ...

I was a cook in the US Army up until 1998. They still have cooks around today. Somebody needs to go out in the field to make sure the soldiers eat when they're training (or at war). I believe you're thinking of the Air Force that has contracted out all of their food service duties.

I was a cook in the US Army up until 1998. They still have cooks around today. Somebody needs to go out in the field to make sure the soldiers eat when they're training (or at war). I believe you're thinking of the Air Force that has contracted out all of their food service duties.
Are you saying US Army personnel in Irag were not eating at KBR (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) dining facilities?

Stars & Stripes article on a vanishing breed:

Stars and Stripes: Catering to the troops

Last edited:
Are you saying US Army personnel in Irag were not eating at KBR (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) dining facilities?

I have no knowledge of how the operation in Iraq is being run. I do know that units have cooks assigned to them to ensure they can get food when they are in a forward position and are unable to reach a dining facility. I'm not surprised if there are dining facilities set up in Iraq that are run by contracted labor (like so much else in this war). I'm also sure that there are still cooks attached to units who are not within driving distance of those facilities.

This sounds like a topic for another thread. Lets try to get back to Santokus vs Chef's knives. Thanks.

Sorry about that GB.

I've never been tempted to buy a Santoku simply because I can't use it for really heavy duty stuff. My chef's knife handles everything to my satisfaction, so I didn't see the point of buying a less versatile knife.

That and I fear change.

I've never been tempted to buy a Santoku simply because I can't use it for really heavy duty stuff. My chef's knife handles everything to my satisfaction, so I didn't see the point of buying a less versatile knife.

That and I fear change.

Thats false. My santoku from Lamson is slightly thinner than my chef knife, but goes right through chicken bones, etc. and can still slice off a transparent piece of tomato. Like all knives, I think you'll spend more for a thicker, more heavy duty blade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom