Homemade marshmallows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I am making a dish for Christmas that uses marshmallows, and since I saw a cook on PBS cooking marshmallows last month, I decided to make my own. Here is the recipe I used, Homemade Marshmallows | Taste of Home Recipes. I made 1/2 the recipe and ended up with a 9x13 in. pan with marshmallows about 3/4 in. thick. This morning, I sliced them and dusted them with powdered sugar, and they are the best marshmallows I have ever had.

Instead of the powdered sugar, try toasted coconut next time - very tastey! I also dip 2 sides in chocolate, again yummy! We tried using crushed graham cracker in place of the powdered sugar and then dipping them, thinking it would taste like a s'more. Not quite but still good.

Homemade marshmallows are wonderful, jet. I don't use powdered sugar on my marshmallows. I use cornstarch instead. I just cut my marshmallows and toss them in a huge bowl with cornstarch in it. They never stick. I made a batch of marshmallows for Christmas gifts this year and dipped them in chocolate fudge coating. Very yummy. There's also nothing like homemade marshmallows in hot chocolate.

potato starch and icing sugar works well also, wet hands helps alot too. dani

Well, now you won't be satisfied with the stuff from the supermarket!

Maida Heatter, in her "Book of Great Cookies," has a recipe for marshmallows that I used to make often for my dad, whose all-time favorite candy was bittersweet chocolate coated marshmallows.

Those marshmallows are heavenly!

Last month when I was staying at this 2-star chateau in Reims (the restaurant is also 2-Star (www.assiettechampenoise.com) the chef served a different flavored marshmallow every evening as part of the dessert degustation. The big favorites were the hazelnut and the coconut, but all were lovely. The marshmallow was served in a log-type chunk with a pair of scissors, so you could cut off as much or as little as you liked.
[He also served house-made cotton candy, house-made suckers, and the best, most upscale version of a Reese's cup any of us had ever had!]

On Christmas morning, the marshmallows were all stuck together but I was able to pull them apart with only minor difficulties. Next time, I think that I will give them a second dusting of powered sugar or corn starch a few hours after the first.

Back
Top Bottom