JEOPARDY Week- 12/27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
JEOPARDY Week- 12/27

JEOPARDY- "E"asy does it

1. ($200)- One of the two official languages of the island kingdom of Tonga...
2. ($600)- The red granite obelisk on the Victoria embankment in London was originally erected in this country...
3. ($1000)- any of several herons, most of which are white or buff, and several of which develop fine plumes, usually milky white...

Double JEOPARDY- Altar Egos
4. ($400)- This is the principal title of the bishop of rome...
5. ($1200)- Meaning "sign of God", it's the supreme religious title of the Muslim faith...
6. ($2000)- It's the title used for a revered Tibetan...

Final JEOPARDY- Inventors
7. This American inventor developed the roll film that became the basis for the motion picture industry...
1. what is English ?
2. what is Egypt ?
3. what is the egret ?
4. what is (the) Pope
5. what is Ayatollah ?
6. what is Lama ?
7. who is George Eastman ?

Oh BABY! I got them ALL! OK, I didn't know Eastman's first name, but I still got it right. Whooeee!

i can't believe i mussed #'s 4 and 5.

lt, did eastman invent roll film in order to settle a bet? the bet was if a horse's feet all leave the ground for an instant when galloping.

i seem to remember something about it, but it may have been later.

Bucky. The guy who did the horse's feet work was a fellow named Muybridge. He set up a series of still cameras with trip wires attached to the shutters.

Eastman invented the "dry plate" because his hobby was photography and he got sick of carting all the stuff around. At that time plates had to be developed as soon as they were exposed so the photographer had to carry a portable darkroom with him. That's essentially what Matthew Brady did in documenting the Civil war.

More here: History of Photography Timeline - photo.net

Great research, Buck; who said trivia was trivial lol

George Eastman was born in Waterville, New York, and was self-educated. In 1884 Eastman patented the first film in roll form to prove practicable; in 1888 he perfected the Kodak camera, the first camera designed specifically for roll film. In 1892 he established the Eastman Kodak Company, at Rochester, New York, one of the first firms to mass-produce standardized photography equipment. This company also manufactured the flexible transparent film, devised by Eastman in 1889, which proved vital to the subsequent development of the motion picture industry.

RE; Muybridge; here's an interesting article

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0834617.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom