Am I The Only One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Am I the only one that will be eating black-eyed peas and hog jowl/ham hock/pork of some kind on New Years Day?????

I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!;)

Normally we do the same, black eyed peas with hamhocks, cornbread and greens, but, DH can't eat it again this year, so, we won't be eating them. Not sure what we'll eat.

Never mind, DH said yes he is going to eat it, even if I have to put them in the processor:LOL:

So just what is a "pone" anyways. I'm a born and bred Northerner, and so am unfamiliar with some of the Southern delicacies. I know what cornbread is, both sweet and savory, and usually make it in a cast iron pan, in bacon grease (yum0. And I'm familiar with and enjoy ham hocks, usually in with some kind of beans, and love black eyed peas. None of those are traditional fare up here. But then again, I'm not a very traditional guy.

Here's what we'll be having with freinds:
1. Pulled pork made from a 19 lb pork butt, semi-boneless, cooked low and slow over natural charcoal with apple and maple wood for smoke.

2. My world famous chicken spring rolls with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.

3. Panko-breaded scallops, deep fried of course.

4. Indian Pastries, a wonderful Middle Eastern delight made by one of our guests every year.

4. Shrimp Scampi where I peel and devein shrimp and saute' in butter and garlic.

5. Salad shrimp with cocktail sauce.

6. Beef kabobs with bell pepers, onions, and mushrooms, all coated with EVOO, salt 'n pepper.

7. Various deli cheeses - Muenster, Provolone, 2 kinds of Swiss, 2 different Cheddars.

8.Delie meats that include black forest ham, deli beef, home barbecued pork tenderloin, sliced deli thin, deli turkey, salami, capiacola, and calabrise. The only thing missing is the liverwurst.

9. Various veggies on a relish tray.

10. Non-alcoholic cocktails to toast in the New Year.

11. I have left over chocolate truffles that I made for Christmas, some filled with home-made caramel, some with home made cashew butter. There are also some home made chocolate squares made by tempering a blend of different brands of milk and semi-sweet chocolates to provide a silky smooth flavor that is somewhat sweeter than what you get in the store.

11. Home made Cream Soda made from fresh vanilla beans, Splenda (I'm diabetic so I have to make my own if I want cream soda. No one sells the stuff around here), and carbonated water.

By tomorrow night, you might just see and eclipse of the Nporthern Stars caused by our Northern bellies.:ROFLMAO: I won't have to eat for a week after that meal. Good thing too. After purchasing my part of this feast, I'm broke.:(

But all is well. Pay-day is on Wednsday.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Uncle Bob, all I can say is YUCK :LOL:, cept for the cornbread part. What the heck is hog jowl and ham hocks? I'm guessing those are the jaw and feet of the pig?:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO: Enjoy! Not sure what I'll be making for dinner new years eve.

GW "Pone" can mean several things. Sometimes it's small 3 or 4 in dia. shapes of fried bread, or at my house, and others in my extended family it is a term given to cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet, usually a 10 inch one...sometimes an 8 inch one. When the bread is turned out on a plate it is a "pone" of bread which is then sliced into wedges, buttered and consumed. It also could be called "skillet bread". It realy depends on ones locations customs, and what is common in ones family.

This would be a 12 inch specimen.....

I wish I was with ya, UBob. With a nice jigger of Bourbon too.

have a great New Years!

I am not too sure what we will be eating on, but it should be good.

Am I the only one that will be eating black-eyed peas and hog jowl/ham hock/pork of some kind on New Years Day?????

I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!;)

My peas are soaking as we speak, Uncle Bob.... My friend Renee is making the collards, and her daughter will be bringing the cornbread. Too bad you're so far away! Shall we save you a piece of Sweet Potato Pie?

Uncle Bob, all I can say is YUCK :LOL:, cept for the cornbread part. What the heck is hog jowl and ham hocks? I'm guessing those are the jaw and feet of the pig?:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO: Enjoy! Not sure what I'll be making for dinner new years eve.

:LOL: Hog jowl is indeed the cheek of the hog. It is cut into chunks, cured and smoked, and sometimes sliced. It can look like small slices of bacon. Ham hocks come from the small end of the ham. Some whole bone-in or shank portion hams can have most of or some of the hock intact. Most of the time they are trimmed off of the ham and sold as cured and smoked, other times sold as "fresh" Both are used primarily as "seasoning" meats for beans, peas, greens, etc, much like ham and bacon are used. Since the jowl and the hock are not very "meaty" they are an inexpensive products.

Enjoy! :-p

I wish I was with ya, UBob. With a nice jigger of Bourbon too.

have a great New Years!

I am not too sure what we will be eating on, but it should be good.

Come on Down!! I'm happy to know I am not the only "cultured" person here who will have Good Luck in the New Year!!:LOL:

ChefJune said:
My peas are soaking as we speak, Uncle Bob.... My friend Renee is making the collards, and her daughter will be bringing the cornbread. Too bad you're so far away! Shall we save you a piece of Sweet Potato Pie?

Please do!! I shall bring Coffee & Chicory!;)

I tried Hoppin' John one new year and didn't care for it. Sorry.

Andy Hoppin John can be good, or just so-so depending on how carried away the cook gets with the rice. Sometimes I've seen it with too much rice IMO.
Next time try just the peas, cooked with ham or......tasso...and maybe throw a link of andouille in at the very last. Serve a little rice on the side. Or serve the peas over the rice, a la Red beans & rice style.

Enjoy!

Have never seen hog jowls, sounds great.

Black-eyed peas are not my favorate at all.

A mess of greens with ham hocks and cornbread though, well, that rings my bell. Afraid we have too much food around here from the holidays that we will be going through - urp.

God bless and Happy New Year y'all.

:)Black Eyed Peas are a New Years tradition in the south meaning if you eat them at that time it brings good luck for the following year the greens represent money to come as well ,the pork just gives a great a great flavor.I love Black Eyed peas or any other legume. Its mostly a southern tradition but if you put enough garlic and onions its really good.Only a spoonful is needed to guarantee good luck

Uncle Bob I just moved from Colorado to Iowa.. If you ask for hog jowl in Colo. they looked at you like you had three heads.. Here in Ia they know what it is but no body
IE WalMart/ Hy Vee/Aldi stocks it and will not order it for you. The last time I had some good jowl was in Sikeston Missouri @ the home of the throwed roll;s. I keep looking

Andy Hoppin John can be good, or just so-so depending on how carried away the cook gets with the rice. Sometimes I've seen it with too much rice IMO.
Next time try just the peas, cooked with ham or......tasso...and maybe throw a link of andouille in at the very last. Serve a little rice on the side. Or serve the peas over the rice, a la Red beans & rice style.

Enjoy!

Bob, that sounds better than what I had. Maybe it's time to retry it.

Enjoy!

I`m not sure if this counts or even if it would meet anyones standards, but this was last nights dinner:
ricebeans.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom