What cheese do you use for French Onion Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassieKate

Assistant Cook
authentic French onion soup? I am thinking gruyere cheese? I'm not a huge fan of REALLY strong cheeses depending on the cheese. What is gruyere like? thanks!

authentic French onion soup? I am thinking gruyere cheese? I'm not a huge fan of REALLY strong cheeses depending on the cheese. What is gruyere like? thanks!

I just bought gruyere cheese for french onion soup - it was $13 a pound! I heard you can use swiss cheese too - and someone even told me mozzarella, too. I like gruyere so that is what I bought. I don't think it is too strong but everyone's taste is different.

Gruyere is traditional. Emmental (Swiss) is also a possibility.

Bottom line - whatever you like. (not cottage cheese)

I am with Andy on this one. Unless onion soup police is coming for diner use whatever you like. I can't even get any of the fancy cheeses, so I use what's available.

Gruyere, as has been mentioned, is traditionally used on French onion soup. It's a delicious cheese. Firm and a bit grainy with a nice nutty flavor. It's one of the cheeses Buck and I use for our New Year's Eve fondue. Even though it may seem expensive, you should only need a few ounces of it for 4 servings of your soup. The cheese melts and browns up beautifully.

Actually.... if you want to get really technical, it's Comte... the French version of Gruyere (which, BTW is also "Swiss Cheese," as it is from Switzerland, along with Emmenthal).

However, pretty much anything labeled "Swiss Cheese" that isn't processed will work. We've used Jarlsberg (the Norwegian version of "Swiss Cheese") a few times, and it was fine, too.

I always grate fresh parmesan reggianno over the soup, the lay a couple slices of good quality Gruyere over the top of the bowl and broil til golden and bubbling. Fantastic. However, if you don't have Gruyere, use a good Swiss or Ementhaler. Pretty much the same thing.

Fontina is also supposed to be good on FOS. I've only always used Gruyere though.

Thomas Keller's recipe at Bouchon calls for Emmethal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom