ISO steak knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camp_cookie

Senior Cook
I'm looking for a moderately priced but quality steak knife set preferable US or European made. I'd appreciate suggestions. I don't need anything super high end, but I do want better than the standard Chinese stuff found in every discount store.

Avoid Chicago Cutlery's steak knives. they set my mom has started out nice and sharp.. within about a month... Dull. I need to take a steel to them and straighten out the blade, then maybe sharpen them a bit.

Toothed tipped blades are far better than straight blades so look for that as well. The teeth resist dulling better than a straight blade on stoneware plates.

Normally I'd agree with the poster that advises avoiding Chicago Cutlery, but their Kyoto line isn't too bad. They're blatant Shun knockoffs in appearance, right down to the contours and capped Pakkawood handles. The steel obviously isn't VG10, but they take a very keen edge and seem to hold it pretty well. A four pack costs about $50. They are made in China, though. Funny, Japanese-styled but made in China!

If you have a TJX store in your area, check out the dining goods. In my area they have Laguiole 6-knife sets for about $15. There are some goofy color schemes on some of them, but I believe they are made in France.

If you have a TJX store in your area, check out the dining goods. In my area they have Laguiole 6-knife sets for about $15. There are some goofy color schemes on some of them, but I believe they are made in France.
I saw those, too, and almost bought some but since I don't know much about knives, I thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with these. Did you get them, Doc? I have 24 steak knives I got at a restaurant supply house (tramotina, I think) that were unbelievably cheap, which was what I needed at the time. I expected them to be very crummy and last only through the big BarBQ Ibought them for but surprisingly, they are really great. Still super sharp 6 or 7 years later. They have ugly plastic handles and look very institutional but they are just too good to throw away!

Laguiole isn't a "company" but a regional designation. Lots of companies make the style of knife. Some are pricey and will last through thick and thin, others like those you saw for $15 will serve for a while but not permanently.

fine cutlery does not sell for $10 a blade.

I'm looking for a moderately priced but quality steak knife set preferable US or European made.

Lamson Sharp, made in Massachusetts. A tad pricey but you can find good deals on Ebay, etc. They are the only brand I use.

Lamson and Godnow : 39866 - 6 Pc. Serrated Steak Knife Set [39866] - $402.50

You think $402.50 for 6 steak knives is "moderately priced?"

Here's what I consider (relative to the Lamson's) a moderately priced set of steak knives. They are very well made and extremely attractive. Unfortunately, their attractivness is partially lost unless you have the full set of kitchen knives and block to go with them.

You think $402.50 for 6 steak knives is "moderately priced?"

Here's what I consider (relative to the Lamson's) a moderately priced set of steak knives. They are very well made and extremely attractive. Unfortunately, their attractivness is partially lost unless you have the full set of kitchen knives and block to go with them.

Actually, I said "a tad pricey" and gave the OP some info through a PM on getting them cheaper.;)

It doesn't look like those Gunter knives are serrated?

Last edited:
Plain edges aren't really a problem unless the steaks are really, really tough.

I'm not familiar with TJX.

It's the company that owns TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Home Goods. They all tend to have a lot of the same stuff. In fact, they have a lot of identical stuff at identical prices.

I hate serrated steak knives, FWIW. Perhaps they have some utility- they'll probably stay usably sharp for longer than a straight edged one if you cut on glass plates. But they're a lot harder to resharpen and tend to just tear the meat.

The Kyoto steak knives are armhair-shaving-sharp out of the box, and can get honed up to a much higher level of sharpness yet with a bit of touch op. They have really attractive Pakkawood handles and are pretty remarkable for $50.

Some others have made some good suggestions, too, but for the price I think the Kyoto's are hard to beat.:chef:

I hate serrated steak knives, FWIW. Perhaps they have some utility- they'll probably stay usably sharp for longer than a straight edged one if you cut on glass plates.

They also make quick work of garden hose repairs!

You don't use a axe for that? I just take one whack and chop the hose end off. replace it and am good to go..

...what?!

DrThunder88,
Robo410 advise is very sound.
Laguiole is a town 359 miles south of Paris that originally produced a pocket knife with a corkscrew that evolved into a steak knife. The ones that TJMaxx sells are low end merchandise with a stamped blade.
The actual Laguiole steak knife is a high end product used in all Michelin 3 Star restaurants, the most recognizable feature apart from the bee and the pistol shape handle is a forged blade, tapered (3 to 4 times thicker in the handle area) with a lot of artistic work on the edge.
I found a picture link in wikipedia, see below:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Abeille_en.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO - people fail to realize that steak knives need just as much care and attention, actually they need more, than the ones they use to slice-n-dice in the preparation of the meal.

Who would use a marble, glass or ceramic tile cutting board with their fine knives? Well, what do you think a plate presents to the blade of a "steak" knife??

Back
Top Bottom