World's Best Salsa (IMO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan41

Assistant Cook
World's Best Salsa
1 lg can whole tomatoes (28 ounces)
2 lg fresh jalapenos (do not remove seed)
5 sprigs fresh cilantro
2 tsp. garlic salt
2 cloves fresh garlic,
Put all in blender and pulse until peppers and cilantro are chopped. Leave just slightly chunky.
Stan

Sounds good! I like to use fresh tomatoes that are finely diced. I then add a little salt to them, stir, and hang them in a strainer to bleed some of the water out of them. This prevents a watery salsa. Next I transfer that to a bowl and add minced garlic, minced red onion, olive oil, tons of cilantro, tons of parsley, tons of fresh lime juice, sugar and pepper.

Add minced jalapeno if you want it hot.

Mark
Livingston Cooks

I have been using some home canned tomatoes that my wife & I put up last summer. I prefer home canned tomatoes to store bought fresh ones. Even on hamburgers.
Stan

Do you roast your jalapenos and garlic? Just asking because this is fairly similar to my salsa recipe. I always make sure to pop the jalapenos and garlic cloves under the broiler until the jalapeno skins are blackened. It really enhances the flavor of the salsa.

I agree, roasting the ingredients is the way to go to make the "Worlds Best Salsa" into the "Galaxys best salsa" ;)

I prefer home canned tomatoes to store bought fresh ones. Even on hamburgers.
Stan

I'm with you on that, Stan. I'll take a sweet canned tomato any day over a tasteless store bought one, the only exception being those sweet little grape tomatoes, which seem to stay flavorful all year.
I haven't tried them on burgers, though. I'll have to give it a go!

Add a little fresh ground black pepper and that would work for me!
Simple is better in salsa, I think.

I will have to say that I add 3 more things - fresh lime juice, a dash of red wine vinegar, and sliced spring onions (and I've never used garlic salt but I can see where that would be good). I too roast my jalapeno.

I know it's been awhile since you posted this but I'm glad it was revived - summer is coming!!! Canned tomatoes are a GREAT substitute in those off months and sometimes I prefer them anyway. A bunch of kids were screaming for salsa one night and all I had was a can of tomato puree - it was really good!

I gotta have some Poblano in there too w/ the onions. Sometimes I use two or more types of onion.

The recipe looks good. I like my salsa with some lime added to it.

Roasting is nice, but I like the fresh, sharp flavor of the garlic and jalepeño. Though I definitely agree that fresh tomatoes are better-- vine ripened, of course. I also add a little tequila to mine sometimes... gives it a great sharp zing.

Sounds good! I like to use fresh tomatoes that are finely diced. I then add a little salt to them, stir, and hang them in a strainer to bleed some of the water out of them. This prevents a watery salsa. Next I transfer that to a bowl and add minced garlic, minced red onion, olive oil, tons of cilantro, tons of parsley, tons of fresh lime juice, sugar and pepper.

Add minced jalapeno if you want it hot.

Mark
quote]

I make a salsa quite like this, although I use serranos instead of jalepenos. My son-inlaw is from Mexico City and he roasts his veggies in a dry hot fry pan 1st. Just to slightly burn the outside, but still crispy. I take the lazy way out. Every deli in Mx. has a salsa mexicano that changes slightly from day to day, depending on the cook. Always good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom