Terribly Low Brow Sauce Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgt_H

Assistant Cook
Ok, maybe a dumb question,

It seems to me that ranch dressing is different than ranch dipping sauce. I'm making Bull Bites for the first time and need a sauce to go with. I'm thinking ranch sauce but does anyone have other ideas options?

Thanks

If you mix your ranch seasonings with buttermilk you have ranch dressing. If you mix the ranch seasonings with sour cream you have ranch dip. If the dip is too thick, you can thin it with a little buttermilk/milk.

What I want to know is why the bottled Ranch Dressing is nasty, but the
mix is good. You think Hidden Valley would fix it.

Here is a handy tip: I am living in a place where I cannot buy the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, and you're right - the bottled stuff is nasty. But my husband loves ranch dressing, so I found a recipe. It is really really good, and you can probably make it from ingredients you have on hand:

RANCH DRESSING

1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 small red bell pepper, finely minced
2 medium scallions, white and green parts, minced
2 small shallots, minced
1 TBS minced fresh parsley
1 TBS minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp lemon juice
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup buttermilk (make your own by adding a tsp of lemon juice to a cup of fresh milk)
1/2 cup mayo
4 TBS sour cream

Roughly chop the garlic, then sprinkle it with salt. With the flat side of your chef's knife, turn the garlic and salt into a paste.
Mix the garlic paste, bell pepper, scallion, shallot, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Add the buttermilk, mayo and sour cream and whisk until smooth. Makes about a cup and 1/2. Keeps in the fridge a week or so.

I've substituted dried parsley, dried cilantro, even onion salt for the shallot/scallion, and sometimes I leave out the bell pepper. Makes a really tasty dressing.

Sorry, Sarge, just realized I didn't address all of your question ... just the part about ranch dressing/dip.

Well, since there is more than one way to make bull bites - you'll have to match the sauce to the recipe - and the flavor you want ... think about buffalo wings and all the variations of sauces served with them.

BBQ sauce is one option, so is a Teriyaki sauce, Hoisin sauce, a Sweet 'n Sour sauce, for some heat just a few drops of Tabasco or Sriracha sauce, honey and BBQ sauce with or without hot sauce, etc. ... even something as simple as the old French Onion Dip (dried French Onion Soup mix made with sour cream - wouldn't be my first choice, but an option) and if you wanted a California twist maybe an avacado dip, or a mango-salsa dip, or ... well ... it's all up to your imagination and what you want.

If you're going to make Bull Bites with Cajun seasonings (with a bit of cayenne) then the ranch dip might be a nice cooling idea.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Thanks for the help. I ended up just using some regular ranch salad dressing, bleh. The bull bites were really good on their own though. It was my first attempt at something like it, just meat and spices.

Thanks again!

The only dumb question is the one left unasked, IMHO.

I have made the mistake of using ranch dressing as dipping sauce before as well, stemming from my ignorance of the difference between the sauce and the dressing, so thanks for the info, and the recipe!

And yes, the bottled stuff does generally taste nasty, but I found the T. Margarittes is not bad at all.

I used the recipe below, but there is one floating around on DC as well

Cajun Beef Tips aka Bull Bites
½ pound beef tenderloin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ½ tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Mix together all the dry ingredients and set aside. Cut the tenderloin into 1 inch cubes and pour the dry ingredients over the meat ? make sure all meat cubes are covered with seasoning. Preheat an iron skillet on medium heat with the olive oil coating the bottom of the pan. Add in the meat and sear until medium/medium-rare. Serve with your choice of sauces and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom