Shortbread cookie poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making shortbread cookies do you...

• Total voters

tdiprincess

Senior Cook
Ok so... I've decided that my favorite cookie to make is the shortbread.
I thought it'd be kinda cool to do a poll. Some people use granulated sugar and some use powdered sugar. Which one do you use?

I use powdered. I think it makes them more chewy and yummy!

Wife makes these so I had to ask her, she says she prefers powdered sugar. She says it gives it a nicer texture.

I'll have to try the brown sugar next time... Do you have a generic recipe? And do you use any other flavors for them?

Thanks i will definitely look for it. So does it generally sub for brown sugar? or can it be any of the sugar?

powdered sugar will give you a crisp and smooth texture. granular sugar will give you a sandy texture. both taste great.

I have never made shortbread cookies, but they are one of my favorite cookies by far!

My mother's shortbread cookie recipe has always been THE recipe to use but whenever I made it mine were, in the opinion of my father, either too "short" or not "short enough". I tried everything, even other recipes to no avail. So this year I got out my wonderful Kitchenaid Pro, attached the dough hook, added all the ingredients of mother's recipe and turned on the machine! I know, shortbread and machines should never mix but it was THE best shortbread I have ever made. Funniest thing - my Dad said, "hmm I am glad your mother isn't here because she'd kick me for saying this....it is way better than hers!":LOL:

Last edited:
just sub out brown sugar for the white!

Maple sugar is divine if you can find some! :chef:
:) I'm guessing you could make your own maple sugar with a good maple syrup the same as you would make a brown sugar with molasses. Think?

Last edited:
My favorite cookies to make are shortbread too! Wow, I never used brown sugar to make them before. Can't wait to try it.

Last edited:
powdered sugar will give you a crisp and smooth texture. granular sugar will give you a sandy texture. both taste great.

You can eliminate most of the "sand" with granulated sugar if you "superfine" it by buzzing it in your food processor with the metal blade for about 30 seconds.

Hi All,

Traditional Scotch Shortbread for bars, squares or biscuits should be made with:

100 gms/4 oz plain flour (sieved)
100 gms/4 oz butter cut into small pieces
50 gms/2 oz powdered or caster sugar (sieved)
50 gms/2oz rice flour (sieved)

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and bring together with the heel of the hand. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead very lightly for 1-2 minutes - no more. Shape into a round cake (8 inches diameter) or shape using a shortbread mould. Prick all over with a fork. Alternatively roll out the dough to approx. 1/8th inch thickness and use a biscuit cutter to make biscuits/cookies. Prick the biscuits with a fork. Place the dough on a greased and lined baking sheet.
N.B. if you use a shortbread mould remember that the dough should be pressed into the prepared mould and then inverted and turned out onto the baking sheet. The wooden mould is used to give the shape and never placed in an oven.

Cook at 170C/325F/Gas 3 for about 50 -60 minutes for 1 large shortbread or 20-30 minutes for biscuits. The shortbread/biscuits should be lightly brown at the edges and creamy almond beige in the centre. Dredge with powdered/caster sugar and place on a cooling rack until cold.

Thin shortbread biscuits can make a quick easy dessert. Combine whipped cream with equal quantities of good quality lemon curd (fold the two together) and layer with raspberries. You will need 3 x 2 1/2-3inch diameter biscuits per portion. Top with a dollop of cream and fresh berries and surround with fresh raspberry coulis. Alternatively, mix the whipped cream with some whisky (Scotch of course) or Amaretto in place of the lemon curd.

All the best,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom