Super Burger Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Not very healthy, but every now and then ya gotta do what ya gotta do :rolleyes:

Super Burger Dogs

img_544204_0_7da6cdbad24d531052aeb98398751010.jpg

I used 3 1/4 oz of plain straight Ground Chuck for each one. Flattened out to just a tad longer than the dog. I added a couple slices of Colby Jack cheese and then molded the burger around the dog and the cheese. Just a sprinkling of S n P and garlic powder on the burger first. I pinched the ends tight and rolled a slice of bacon around the burgerdog and fastened each end with a toothpick. I then dusted lightly with Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust for added flavor. I put the finished product in the freezer for approx 45 minutes to 'set up' and be easier to handle for the grill.

img_544204_1_d68e70ec1f91dce5cb52503445e44151.jpg

img_544204_2_64fd6f5b778760266e4d47263a5cca16.jpg

img_544204_3_f5be53b1fac7d272352cbc34367c7e52.jpg

These were grilled direct, on a grid extender, for about 15 minutes at 325-350° dome temp, turning a few times. Straight lump, no extra smoke added.

img_544204_4_37921876e8f4b4c600c37073680e4aff.jpg

img_544204_5_eead08a14f80ec09f3fcd25a1ce3b223.jpg

Would I do anything different? Yes, I would. I would try and use hot dogs, or sausage, with the cheese already inside. Ball Park makes a ‘bun size ‘sausage that would work well, too. I would cook indirect over a pan of water, to catch the bacon grease and cheese, and then finish for a few more minutes direct to brown up.

This is a keeper! My wife tried hers nekkid, but I put mine on a piece of bread with catsup. MMMMMMmm........The little sub rolls I bought y'day would've been better, but they are still on the supermarket check out counter, I guess, cuz they ain't around here!!

img_544204_6_8acefe30fad8de89ad21cf5826ece683.jpg

I was MORE than happy with the results. I might tweak the seasonings (maybe Cowlick?), change the cheese next time (Jalapeno or Swiss) and possibly add some chopped onion in there some where ;). I didn't have much problem with the ground chuck, but if one were to use a leaner burger, I would suggest putting in an egg to help bind the meat together. Serving with some grilled peppers and onions wouldn't hurt anything, either!

While you are at it, might as well make a bunch for the freezer!

;)hmm might be good to try for picky eaters, or people who can't make up their minds if they want a hot dog or hamburger .

Editing my Post...

Looks yummy. That's as great as the bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf or that hen stuffed in a chicken stuffed in a turkey stuffed in my belly recipe!

This is gonna happen this weekend in my kitchen. I'm thinking I might sub a kielbasa... that way I'll only eat one, instead of five. :LOL:

For the record, he didn't make them. He mentioned them, I made a face of uncertainty (picky eater, remember?) but said I'd try em...he bought all the ingredients and NADA!!!! How utterly disappointing...:ermm:

bite.jpg
Soooooooo goood
yum.jpg
and sooooooo evil. Ok...so maybe it wasn't LAST weekend, but this weekend past, because of someone (see above) I ended up making them this weekend. And no, I didn't use the Kielbasa thank god. I ate one and got about 2/3 of the way through the second, and just couldn't go anymore. TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY for these little gems.

They were absolutely delicious!!! And filling!!! (can you tell by the little hamster cheeks?). I ate one and had to force the last few bites down (was not throwing any part of it away). He added onions into the meat and it gave it an extra bit of flavor. Miss picky that I am was worried to try it. However, this is a new recipe in our box and we are going to make them for the family this summer definitely. Can you believe that a little more than a pound of ground beef and 4 hot dogs fed us for 2 days? YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!!

Back
Top Bottom