Help with vegetarian "meatballs"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
My year 8 students were cooking meatballs the other day and my vegetarian student bought in quorn mince to make his balls. However it was very difficult to make them stick together. I used lots of egg and we were able to make them into balls But they did not survive cooking.

Could anyone give me advice how to make good vegetarian meatballs?

I would first suggest to make them without Quorn! How about beans, lentils and veggies all mashed up. Let me see if I can find a recipe...

Maybe something with mashed potatoes, onions, mushrooms, seasonings, and then rolled in bread crumbs, serve with gravy.

Thanks you for your responses. I do use nuts as we do not have any serious nut allergies and the parents can veto ingredients (if they are essential I probably wouldn't use them).

Ray

Minced mushrooms and texturized soy protein, along with a few minced good tasting vegetables and just a bit of egg will make a good meatball or meatloaf. The less chunky you make 'em the better they will stick together.

My year 8 students were cooking meatballs the other day and my vegetarian student bought in quorn mince to make his balls. However it was very difficult to make them stick together. I used lots of egg and we were able to make them into balls But they did not survive cooking.

Could anyone give me advice how to make good vegetarian meatballs?

2 cups broccoli, cooked until soft
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plain fine bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped
1 tsp. rosemary and 1 tsp. sage
1 cup Olive oil

TOMATO MAYO
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1 Tbsp. yogurt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. oregano and 1/2 Tbsp. basil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil

Mash broccoli, add flour, bread crumbs, eggs, cheeses, walnuts, parsley and herbs. Mix until a dough with a sticky consistency is formed. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or deep fryer. Form mixture into balls and add in batches, to hot oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.

Tomato Mayo
Combine all ingredients in a food processor/blender until pureed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom