Need help making a "Salumi" platter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
So my dad wants the family to get together this weekend for a big Italian feast, where each of us brings something. He assigned me with the salumi platter...which is basically a platter of Italian cured porks/hams like prosciutto, mortadella, capicola, etc. Only problem is, I don't know a thing about these meats.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to put an attractive platter together that can feed around 10 people? I live right near a Wegmans, so I have access to all of the fancy cured meats I can get, as well as just about any cheese.

Thanks for the help!

Are you asking how to present the meats you buy or which meast to buy or both?

Both! :rolleyes: I'm not even sure how to ask the Deli guy to give it to me...would I just ask for a few ounces of this, and few ounces of that, all thinly sliced?

All thinly sliced!

I would consider:

Mortadella
Sweet and hot Cappacola
Genoa Salami
Sopressata
Prosciutto
Provolone
Black olives
Pepperoncini

Arrange them in circles around the center of a large platter or as pie wedges around the platter (i.e. a wedge of genoa, a wedge of prosciutto...)

Chave, it is easy. You are making the meat part of an antipast and that you can do.

You have something to work with, the picture.

Figure out about how many pieces of meat and cheese you need from the picture. You can add more or less. Go to Wegman's when it is not too busy and ask for 15 slices of mortadella, or whatever number you think is appropriate.

Do the same thing with the rest of Andy's list. If you cannot get something don't panic. Just buy some more of something else or fill in with ham. Or roast beef, or turkey.

But would keep with the Italian cuts as much as possible.

Buy the pepperoncinis and some olives, not the ones in the jar. And get several different types.

Some little tomatoes if you wish, they do give color. And some jars of the red peppers.

Roll the meat and cheese. In the center of the the platter put some olives admixed with the jarred pepper slices.

Build a surrounding display of meats and cheeses the way it is in the picture. Sprinkle on some red peppers, the pepperoncini, maybe some small tomatoes cut in half and you have it.

Relax, you have the template and the desire. Do it and enjoy the party.

Take a platter - can always get a disposable one.

Here's a picture of one that I made about a year ago, which illustrates Aunt Dot's words. The white things are rolled provolone and buffalo mozzarella balls.

I love this stuff!

Lee

So my dad wants the family to get together this weekend for a big Italian feast, where each of us brings something. He assigned me with the salumi platter...which is basically a platter of Italian cured porks/hams like prosciutto, mortadella, capicola, etc. Only problem is, I don't know a thing about these meats.

As long as everyone else is bringing stuff to eat, three (3) pounds of assorted meats and cheeses should be enough to cover the crowd. About 1 lb of cheese and 2 lbs meat. Add your olives, peppers, tomatoes, etc and you will have a nice platter.

Here's a picture of one that I made about a year ago, which illustrates Aunt Dot's words. The white things are rolled provolone and buffalo mozzarella balls.

I love this stuff!

Lee

Looks delicious! What is in the middle? Is it chickpeas and couscous? Also, what are the dark green things with the stems that are scattered all around it?

Looks delicious! What is in the middle? Is it chickpeas and couscous? Also, what are the dark green things with the stems that are scattered all around it?

Chave, the stuff in the middle is a relish that my friends get at their local supermarket, near the olive bar. I believe it was orzo, chickpeas, pinenuts, primarily. Maybe some pimentos, too.

The dark green things are caperberries. Delicious! Capers - Ingredient - CHOW

Lee

Last edited:
Chave, the stuff in the middle is a relish that my friends get at their local supermarket, near the olive bar. I believe it was orzo, chickpeas, pinenuts, primarily. Maybe some pimentos, too.

The dark green things are caperberries. Delicious! Capers - Ingredient - CHOW

Lee
Lee,
everytime I see this platter, it makes me want to run to the deli and get the goods:LOL: I like the idea of the orzo, chickpeas and pinenuts...I've just got to find a reason to make one,,,
kades

Back
Top Bottom