Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirSlik

Assistant Cook
This is how I make mine. First of all people have different preferences so pick out a red sauce with anything that tickles your fancy. The amount of sauce you get depends on how much spaghetti you need so I'll leave that part up to you.

I usually pick up a red sauce with garlic/pepper. Then I get 1 lb ground beef and 1 package of sausage, get italian sausage if you like spiceyness.

I use 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, (1 green pepper if you like em), Mushrooms (however much you like).

Chop up your onions and pepper into about 1cm chunks, mince your garlic, and slice your shrooms.

You'll need a sauce pan large enough to accommodate the amount of sauce your making. Throw you sauce in the pan and turn it on a low-medium heat for now.

Get a decent sized pan you can brown up the meat in (it needs to be big enough to have everything spread out and not stacked on top of each other otherwise you will more or less steam some of the meat). Turn the heat to medium-high. Get a little bit of oil, just enough to very thinly coat the bottom of the pan so you wont have sticky vegetables at first.

Once your pan is hot throw in about half your veggies and get those cooking (mix them up in the pan before you leave em). While they start to cook start getting your sausage out of the package and cut them into about 1inch sections . Once you have them chopped up tend to your pan of veggies, at this point the pan should be very hot, almost too hot. Sweat those veggies, you do this simply by adding a very small amount of water (use the faucet and just turn it on then off very quickly, if you get too much water in there its not the end of the world but you'll have to cook it off before you add the meat) once you get the water in there spread it around mixing your veggies with whatever the heck you want to stir it with to ensure the water gets to all of them.

Sweating the veggies brings out their flavors into somewhat of a gravy form so to speak. Once you've sweat the veggies add your sausage chunks and try to get them coated with your veggies (you dont want the meat sitting on top of the veggies, you want the veggies on top of the meat). Now to add some spices. Get yourself some salt, pepper, rosemary, and anything else you see fit / like. I dont think I really need to explain how to season the veggies/meat, give one side a coating, then stir the pan well and do another coating and stir once more to ensure an even coating.

You want to make sure the sausage is well browned and the vegetables have shrunk (they will be very thin compared to when you started, onions will appear almost paper thin and be rather dark). Usually I find its ready when the veggies stick to the sausage. Once the sausage is done just spoon it into your sauce and stir it in well.

Now for the ground beef, you will do the exact same thing I described with the sausage except you add the meat before the vegetables till some of the water begins to cook out of the meat. Also chop up your meat as it browns, no large chunks (you can have large chunks if you want I suppose but less flavor is absorbed from your veggies). Then add your veggies and season. You dont need to sweat the veggies as the water cooking out of the beef is sufficient and more flavorful. Again cook your meat till its browned and your veggies have shrunk. Once everything has cooked to your liking, add it to your sauce. Again, stirring in the ground beef/veggies well.

Once you have everything stirred in add 1tbs of granulated sugar to your sauce and stir in well.

Now your sauce should be about boiling at this point. You will need a lid unless you enjoy cleaning your stove and surrounding counter/walls . You'll need to slowly turn down your heat in increments till the sauce comes to a very, VERY slow simmer.

To do this right it needs to simmer about 6-8 hours, Stirring it about every 30min to an hour.

*note- The sauce will always taste better if you prepare it a day ahead of when you use then slowly reheating it the day you use it.
**other note- any time you feel your pan getting too hot you can simply sweat the veggies, it wont hurt the meat.

I always use angel hair pasta but thats just me, Enjoy!
icon_e_smile.gif

(The guide is written with such detail so anyone whos not a cook can still make it)

Welcome to DC, Slik.

It looks like you are dressing up store-bought tomato sauce. Is that right?

You're doing all the work necessary to make sauce from scratch already. You should give it a try.

I usually dont have time to but if you want to recommend a tomato sauce recipe I'd try to make time some weekend :P

Saute your veggies, add canned or fresh tomatos and some basil and or oregano and simmer. Add the prepared meats and simmer for at least another hour.

There are dozens of tomato sauce recipes here. A search should yield a lot of choices.

This is my go to Sauce. Fast, easy, and good:

One 28 oz Can Progresso Crushed Tomatoes with added Puree
One 6 oz Can Tomato Paste
2-3 Large Cloves of Garlic - Chopped
Small Onion - Chopped
Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Dry Wine, Red or White – Your Choice
Parsley
Oregano
Basil
Crushed Hot Pepper
Sugar
Salt & Pepper

I do not measure spices; my mother eyeballed them so that’s what I learned. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer.

Simmer sausage in a covered skillet for 15-20 minutes; do not pierce. Uncover, pour off remaining water and brown the sausage. Add to the sauce, cover, and low simmer for at least one hour. I like to refrigerate the sauce for a couple of days, with or without sausage or meatballs, before using.

Yup, once you start adding to the canned sauce, you might as well just
start with plain tomato sauce and build from there.

Although I can see that if a certain brand of sauce had a flavor you really liked,
it would make sense to use it as your base.

I really like the flavor a package of McCormick Zesty Tomato Sauce mix adds, so
I use that, along with my other seasonings. Sauce is fine without it... but more fine
with it, LOL!

I make homemade spaghetti sauce like this
in a sauce pan, add 1/4 olive oil, saute a small chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic, add a big can of tomato puree and a big can of crushed tomatoes. Then I throw in a big pinch of herbs (oregano, basil, salt & pepper) and a pinch of sugar. I cook it low and slow (sometimes in the crock pot). Sometimes I mix up meatballs and throw the raw meatballs into the sauce and let it cook slowly for hours. Sometimes I cube up some pepperoni and throw it in the sauce too, for added flavor You can add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes if you want the heat.

But I do the Sirslik method sometimes too. I take Muir Glenn's pasta sauce and embellish it with cooked hamburger, onions, garlic and veggies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom