New Caphalon One Grill Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I've had a couple of grill pans before...one was a Lodge cast iron, and the darned thing stuck something awful. Then I tried a square aluminum one, and it stuck also.
Last week I ordered a new Caphalon One grill pan and Kim tried it out last night. It does a great job of cooking and does NOT stick!

Ohhh, where did you get it? How much? We have a cast iron grill pan and it doesn't stick too bad as long as you let the food cook for a bit. I guess it has to get seasoned. But the thing is sooo heavy and I have a bad back so I'm not allowed to lift it.

Ohhh, where did you get it? How much? We have a cast iron grill pan and it doesn't stick too bad as long as you let the food cook for a bit. I guess it has to get seasoned. But the thing is sooo heavy and I have a bad back so I'm not allowed to lift it.

my pan is too heavy as well, so I don't use it much.

Congrats on your new grill pan, Connie. I have a Calphalon SS tri-ply grill pan and I love it. I can make steaks indoors with gorgeous sear marks. I don't have any Calphalon One but I've heard great things about it. Do you have other pieces? How is it different from non-stick or ss? I'm thinking about getting a couple of pieces for my daughter. TIA

How is the surface area on the "ridges" on the new pan? I have the cast iron Lodge and found them to be awfully thin. I need a new nonstick fry pan, so maybe I'll get both.

It sure is Andy.

I got the grill on Amazon, Meshoo. It was $39.95 plus about ten bucks for shipping.
I have a bad back, too, and this pan isn't nearly as heavy as cast iron.

FM, I have quite a few pieces of Caphalon. The original pieces have done well except for the big skillets, which started sluffing off the non-stick coating from using them for frying (even though we didn't use them on hi). The company replaced them, though.
DH got one of the anodized skillets ($$$!), and it'll be great for cooking a dish where you want to de-glaze the pan, but fried eggs stick to it.
This is my first piece of Caphalon One. It can take heat up to 500 degrees (but no broiler).

Jeekinz, the ridges are wider than those on either of my old grill pans.

I have a wonderful fancy *ss high end 6 burner convection oven range, but I use a wok for deep frying, a calphalon griddle for pancakes and grilled sandwiches, and a calphalon non stick grill pan for meats like steaks and chops and paninis. They are easy to clean and do the job fast without a lot of oil. The range provides the gas power. The oven does have an infrared broiler which is great for fish and some meat like rack of lamb!.

But seriously, one doesn't need a built in deep fryer or griddle top or grill. However, if I had the room for the biggest range and the money, would I have all the additions. Gotta admit that I sure would.

But to the topic here, Cooks Illustrated rated the calphalon non stick grill pan as A#1.

Calphalon Grill Pans

We have both Calphalon non-stick and the SS tri-ply which itself is an awesome grill pan. Not too heavy, only problem is we have a gas grill outdoors and really easy to use that most days of the year.;)

I have an older lodge ("borrowed from mom" which is probably the better tool but one of my most frequently used pieces is my small square Le Creuset grill. It requires a little patience and scrubbing but the iron keeps the heat nice and even and it helps get me get my grill fix through the winter until I can fire up the charcoal. This is a nice little go to pan because even though it is iron it is small enough to be manageable. It works great for chicken and meats.

Last edited:
I gave the Lodge another go a few days ago. Looks like it's going to be a yard sale item. Next winter I'll replace it with one of those ^^^^^^^^.

Anyone know if you can use the Calphalon non-stick and the SS tri-ply grill pans on a ceramic top stove?

I did have a Calphalon grill pan, but got rid of it. It didn't seem to really give me the desired results. I do now own two Lodge grill pans. One is the round and the other is the two burner pan. I use them both very often, always with great results. The cast iron gets good and hot and cooks beautifully. Since both pans are well seasoned, I have no problem with sticking. They are heavy which is the only problem.

Cuisinart just came out with a new line called Green Gourmet. It's only at Bed Bath & Beyond, and is one their website. I wasn't allowed to post the link. It's ceramic based nonstick cookware and has no PTFE, or PFOA which are the bad things in Teflon, and which the government has mandated must be phased out a few years from now.

The have an 11" ridges square grill similar in shape to the Calphalon ONE grill. It can also take higher temps than the teflon without breaking down, and I think it's also much harder. Sells for $59.99.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom