Did I buy a cheapie Fondue Set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their fondue pot.

The first time using our fondue pot, there was a funny smell coming from the burner, but we passed it off as normal for the first time. When cleanup time came, I realized that the burner flame had actually made the black peel off the bottom of the pot holder, and the ceramic pot was browning on the bottom! Did we just buy a cheapie?

This is my first time on the forums, I quite like it here :)

Thanks for any help you can give!
Saphellae

Sounds to me like maybe you bought a cheap one - sorry. I bought this pan one time - well, it actually came with something else I bought off TV - the first time I put it on the stove it buckled and melted - :LOL:

Sounds like your pot is way too thin and the wrong material.

Okay, I thought so. Is there any brand name that someone can recommend so this doesn't happen again? I tossed the box but I'm still going to be returning it.

Sounds to me like maybe you bought a cheap one - sorry. I bought this pan one time - well, it actually came with something else I bought off TV - the first time I put it on the stove it buckled and melted - :LOL:

Sounds like your pot is way too thin and the wrong material.

Ahhh yes... the old "Melting Pot" Freebie.

Okay, I thought so. Is there any brand name that someone can recommend so this doesn't happen again? I tossed the box but I'm still going to be returning it.

Electric or Flame?

Electrics are nice. Rival has one thats pretty nice lookin.

Saphellae,
I have an old fondue (Enameled cast iron with fluid burner) set that works great.
I've seen a very similar set -except for the enamel color, I'd say they were made by the same manufacturer- sold at IKEA, is not that expensive. I think is called Senior.
Bonne cuisine!

I love my enameled cast iron fondue set - I think it's Le Creuset? Maybe? Gosh, I hate getting old!!!!! Anyway - I love it - thanks for the reminder to get it back out!

Thanks for the all the tips guys! :)

I bought a nice ceramic fondue set for cheese at The Bay... it works very nicely and is great looking. It's flame.

I also bought a really cute little chocolate one... it has "chocolate" written on the white pot and is also flame.

Our next one will be a meat fondue pot, I'd prefer electric. Any suggestions for brand name versus price that is available in Canada at a department store or specialty store?

Back
Top Bottom