Crock pot insides sub for dutch oven for NYT bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that you should check the manual that came with your crock pot. Some of the liners are not meant to be used on the stove or in the regular oven.

I would be afraid of the thermal shock that comes when you plop that cold wet dough into a hot piece of crockery--I think you might end up with pieces.

Do you have any pyrex bowls? Or a cooking pot without plastic handles? I know the directions say to use a heavy pot, but I have used my stainless stock pot and pyrex bowls many times with great results.

I would be afraid of the thermal shock that comes when you plop that cold wet dough into a hot piece of crockery--I think you might end up with pieces.

Do you have any pyrex bowls? Or a cooking pot without plastic handles? I know the directions say to use a heavy pot, but I have used my stainless stock pot and pyrex bowls many times with great results.

thanks for the info. will try with a lighter pot i have and see what happens. wouldn't have much use for big dutch oven, since most of the time am only cooking for myself.babe

Unless your crockpot manual specifically says that the crock can be used in the oven, I wouldn't do it. An acquaintance of mine just recently used her crockpot liner in the oven to cook something & it cracked into a number of pieces.

I've been using my crock pot insert with lid for 1 1/2 years on a regular basis to make this NY Times bread, with not one instant of concern. My pot weighs 6 1/2 pounds, without the lid. It's very thick walled.

Back
Top Bottom