ISO best dang flour tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
I want to learn to make the best dang tortillas ever. Every time i try they turn out dry. I follow all the recipes exactly. I think it might have something to do with me climate. we are 4700 feet above sea level..

any one have a good family recipe or have a recipe for tortillas.

i wish i had cafe rios recpie

Flour or corn?

LOL - since the name of the thread is: ISO best dang flour tortillas - I'm guessing flour.

Well, LT - there are several things that can contribute to your problem:

Altitude by itself may not be the problem ... but the humidity in your location can be a factor. But, even down here in the humid flatlands ... some things make a difference.

INGREDIENTS: use all-purpose flour - not bread flour. Strong flours like bread or whole wheat require more liquid in the dough - and even if you are using AP you might want to add 2-3 Tablespoons more water to the recipe to compensate for that the environment is sucking out of the dough.

TECHNIQUE: They need to be cooked quick over a hot griddle - something like a blazing hot cast iron griddle ... not an electric griddle.

STORAGE: If you're not going to serve them immediately after removal from the griddle - you need to store them in a way to retain the heat and moisture - like wraping them up in heavy duty aluminum foil. One trick restaurants use is to store the tortillas in a "steam cabinet" to keep them hot and moist - actually adds some moisture.

RESURRECTION: Depending on how you are using them ... you can take about 4 tortillas and put them between two damp paper towls and run them in the microwave for about 30-seconds and then let them sit for about another 30-60 seconds before you remove them. Another way is to use a splatter screen over a skillet of simmering water.

Hope this gives you some ideas ....

First off, which recipe are you using?
And, are you using lard?

the recipe im using is from my cooking class i took a few years ago. Usually when i make them its summer time and its about 100*F outside and like 0% humidity. its all dry heat unless its going to rain. I dont have the recipe any more because i throw it away after getting frustrated when 20 tortillas diddnt make it.

However we do have a swamp cooler but i dont know if that was on or not when i made them.

I did use an electric griddle.

Does crisco count as lard???

AP flour is the white stuff right??

I suspect if you live in a climate where swamp coolers function then yes, that may have something to do with it.

When I lived in Tucson (another land of Swamp Coolers) there was an older woman who made flour tortillas and sold them by the dozen. Best I ever had. They would dry out too. I thought that was the point.

It's been years since I've made tortillas. I lent my South Western Cook Book to someone who lost it. Hate it when that happens. With the web I really don't need one, though.

I use to take raw tortillas and wrap meat in them then deep fry in a skillet, nothing like it.

Anyhow, I suspect what you expect of a fully cooked flour tortilla may be at odds with what they actually are. A really thin piece of dough hitting a hot surface is going to dry out really fast especially in a 0 humidity climate.

Thing of it for me is, I remember that old(er) womans fresh tortillas then look at Gringos idea of tortilla in the box stores and they are NOT the same.

Back
Top Bottom