Sean's famous spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
Join me on my journey into the unknown as I attempt to render an edible accompaniment to pasta from this bunch of lovable rag-tag ingredients.

Currently selected ingredients:

Olive oil
White onion
Strained tomatoes
Parsley
Split peas
Salt
Pepper

Procedure:

Cook diced onion in olive oil and boil a few split peas in a separate pan. When onion is translucent, add strained tomatoes and stir in chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Drain split peas and fold gently into the sauce.

You are invited to make suggestions based on the ingredients available in my pantry (follow the link listed above). Perhaps I can thicken the sauce with roux (I'm always looking for more ways to use (and talk about) roux)? Constructive comments and encouragement are appreciated. :)

I'd add some chicken stock cubes, mushrooms in the sautee and a little
paprika. Maybe mash the peas, depending on the flavor....
And cheese. Cheese is good in almost everything.
Pity you can't get garlic....

I wouldn't use roux with spaghetti sauce. I think the best way to thicken a tomato sauce is by simmering - it reduces the liquid and concentrates the flavors.

I'd add some chicken stock cubes, mushrooms in the sautee and a little
paprika. Maybe mash the peas, depending on the flavor....
And cheese. Cheese is good in almost everything.
Pity you can't get garlic....

Unfortunately, mushrooms are (back) out because they don't seem to be cheaply sourceable at the present time.

Currently selected ingredients:

Olive oil
White onion
Strained tomatoes
Parsley
Chicken-stock cube
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Split peas

Procedure 1:

Cook diced onion in olive oil and boil a few split peas in a separate pan. When onion is translucent, add strained tomatoes and stir in chopped parsley, salt and pepper, paprika and crushed chicken-stock cube. Drain split peas and fold gently into the sauce.

Procedure 2:

Cook diced onion in olive oil and boil a few split peas in a separate pan. When onion is translucent, add strained tomatoes and stir in chopped parsley, salt and pepper, paprika and crushed chicken-stock cube. Drain split peas, mash wildly and fold gently into the sauce.

I'll try both these procedures and then try to work cheese into the winning forumla. Do you suggest mixing cheese into the sauce (if so, at what stage) or sprinkling it over the finished dish?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom