How to cook fresh spinach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
As some on the board know, I've made the transformation from canned to fresh spinach not too long ago. The thing is, I've never cooked fresh spinach by itself, I've only added it to other things that were already cooking... So how do I cook a simple fresh spinach?
I have no idea if I'm supposed to add it to boiling water, just wet it and sort of steam it, add it to cold water and bring to a boil... I'm just looking for spinach with a little salt and butter on my plate, maybe I don't even need to use water. Maybe I can just put it in a small pot with butter?

I can't believe my main cookbook doesn't have a recipe for plain cooked spinach. Any help in about 30 minutes would be appreciated :)

Rinse it, don't drain it, throw it in a pot and cook until wilted. Don't overcook or it will be tough. You can season with salt, pepper, lemon, and garlic while cooking. The end. No pressure cooker needed here :chef:;)

buy and cook large, i mean very large amount. it wilts down to a very little.have u ever had spinach salad? raw spinach, bacon, hard boiled eggs and a hot as in warm, oil and vingear dressing. yummy.babe

Vicky, is so right, pacanis. All you need is the small amount of water that clings to the washed spinach. You only need a pan, a heat source and a few minutes. I love fresh spinach prepared any way. Actually, I love any kind of spinach.

Rinse it, don't drain it, throw it in a pot and cook until wilted. Don't overcook or it will be tough. You can season with salt, pepper, lemon, and garlic while cooking. The end. No pressure cooker needed here :chef:;)

Aww gee, no PC :huh:
I figured that might be overkill.... Hey, where'd my spinach go? It's on the ceiling :LOL:

So do I cover it and kind of steam it until it's wilted, or is a lid unnecessary?

Chop a few slices of bacon and brown it in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. When it's about half-way there, add half a medium onion, chopped and a little minced garlic.Cook on medium heat along with the bacon, until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add your spinach and about a quarter cup of water or broth. Sprinkle a good amount of salt over the top (1 tsp?), toss to mix, cover and steam until spinach is crisp tender. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top (about 1/4 lemon) and dish up.
Garnish with sliced hard boiled eggs.

Obviously, these amounts aren't exact.

Last edited:
Going by the additional replies I'll guess kitchenelf is Vicky?.....;)
Babetoo, that's not excactly what I do, but I'm always adding it to bacon or something else. Very good, but not what I'm looking for at this time.

Thanks, just scrolled down and saw no lid. That helps immensley. Just about time to get going on things as I think my baked potato on the grill is nearing finish. :)

I'm thinking this is probably the easiest thing in the world to cook... But I didn't know :wacko:

Once you get the spinach recipe down you might want to tackle other greens.

Kale, for example, is lovely. Cooked with a ham hock. Nothing is better.

Greens will be in season fairly soon. They are lovely. Give them a try.

Kale, for example, is lovely. Cooked with a ham hock. Nothing is better.

Have you ever gotten ahold of the Rainbow Kale? The stalks and veins vary from golden to orange, red and purple. I grew some one year, but I was too busy in the greenhouse to do much with it, although I put it in stir-fries a couple of times.

I may just have to do that auntdot. The spinach in its plain form was fantastic! A little salt, a little butter..... really good.

So, I was looking at it one minute and it looked like when I first put it in, then whoomf, it was cooked down. Now I know why you don't use a lid. You would miss when it was done :)

Thanks for the help.
And I'm going to get the bigger bag next time. That stuff goes fast!

Spinach, some thin sliced yellow or red pepper, rehydrated
shiitake mushrooms, thin sliced garlic...

Sautee all but the mushrooms and spinach in a bit of olive oil.
Sprinkle well with cajun seasoning and a bit of lemon pepper.
Add 1/4 cup of chicken stock and your spinach, mix well.
Reduce heat, cover and cook till spinach is as wilted as you want it.

Add some cajun and olive oil seasoned tilapia, cover with spinach, cover
with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 15 minutes or so...also good.

very simply, thinly slice a clove or three of garlic, put a tbsp or so of evoo in a large saute pan over medium heat. put the garlic in the oil, let toast just for a minute, then dump in the bag of spinach. imeediately begin to turn with tongs to get the spinach coated with the garlic oil. it'll shrink down and become wilted within another minute.
if'n you want to get fancy, add a thinly sliced shallot at the same time you add the garlic.

e voila'. sauteed spinaci!

Quite often I'll cook up some plain spinach, then toss it with some freshly-ground black pepper & some crumbled Feta cheese.

Makes a terrific "bed" for chicken (or flounder/sole) cooked Piccata-style (dredged in seasoned flour, sauteed in extra-virgin olive oil & butter, then removed to a platter; sauce finished with fresh lemon juice, capers, a dash of dry white wine, & some more butter whisked in).

My mom used to make us creamed spinach, but I dont remember how. I know it was onions, garlic, milk and flour maybe? I haven't had it forever, maybe I should go call her.....
Nah, maybe tomorrow.

Creamed spinach is one of our traditional Thanksgiving Day turkey accompaniments. All I do is cook the spinach (usually frozen chopped), then add minced garlic to taste & several goodly dollops of heavy cream.

Cool, thanks Breezy! Now I don't have to have an hour long conversation about making sure I am investing well for my retirement. :)

Oddly enough, spinach is one of the few vegetables that is actually better for you after it's cooked.. volume basis.

I saute spinach in some olive oil. You can add chopped garlic and even some pine nuts, a little pepper and salt. Delicious.

Back
Top Bottom