Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   What are your Easter plans! (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/what-are-your-easter-plans-44349.html)

Barb L. 03-18-2008 10:02 AM

What are your Easter plans!
 
My Grandsons are spending the weekend,so I will hide eggs outside, fill Easter baskets . Dinner will be Ham, yams, mashed potatoes, corn, coleslaw and dinner rolls. Making orange pound cake (Ol-Blue's).
Changes will probably follow ... :rofl: Yup, son just called,he said the boys and I will be there Friday afternoon to color eggs . Love it ! Happy Easter all !

Fisher's Mom 03-18-2008 10:07 AM

Barb, your Easter plans sound just perfect! How old are your grandsons? My 5 year old wants to look for the eggs over and over and over!

Flourgirl 03-18-2008 10:29 AM

My 4-year old is getting excited too! We're going to an Easter Egg hunt on Saturday in our town and then dinner will be at my mother-in-laws house on Sunday afternoon. She'll make braised braciole and I'm making a lemon layer cake to bring for dessert.

Fisher's Mom 03-18-2008 10:36 AM

I overheard my 5 year old telling his brother that Easter is "kinda better" than Christmas because you get mostly candy, you get to hunt for eggs and you don't even have to do anything for it (like having to behave before Christmas in case Santa is watching). Like you Barb, I buy a basket and fill it. That's the best part for me. Do you dye eggs or use the plastic ones?

BreezyCooking 03-18-2008 10:36 AM

Since it's just dear husband & I, our Easter plans are the same as they always are. If we're both hungry & I'm feeling ambitious (lol!) we'll have Eggs Benedict for breakfast, subbing turkey bacon or turkey ham for the usual Canadian bacon.

As far as the main meal, it will either be a smoked turkey or a roast duck - depending on which I can find this week - with the accompaniments dependent on which meat I end up with. Regardless of which I end up, I'm thinking of pierogies with sour cream as an appetizer. Maybe some sliced grilled turkey kielbasa with some flavored mustards as well.

kadesma 03-18-2008 10:45 AM

Thursday, all the babies are coming and we will dye the eggs..Outside of course..All I have to do is keep the dog from stealing the eggs and the kids from drinking the colored water:lol: I'm picking up the baskets and candy and other goodies today..Those I'll hide til Sunday..On Sunday all my kids will be here and they asked glazed spiral cut ham, scalloped potatoes and DH wanted potato salad, so they voted..Sorry DH maybe during the week with the leftovers:lol: grilled asparagus, out favorite artichokes with butter and garlic, homemade rolls, a big fruit salad, appies of course, just not sure what yet...cream puffs for dessert and Easter candy you can con the kids for:rofl:
kadesma-Happy Easter:wink:

Barb L. 03-18-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom (Post 568729)
Barb, your Easter plans sound just perfect! How old are your grandsons? My 5 year old wants to look for the eggs over and over and over!


3 1/2 and 11! Thank you, I try ! ( I hide plastic now, with a dollar in each -) but I only hide 6 each - the 6th one has a $5 bill in it. They each have their colors to find.

pdswife 03-18-2008 03:04 PM

We don't celebrate until Greek Easter which will be at the end of April this year.
We'll roast the lamb in the front yard... do a million Greek side dishes, the kids will have an egg hunt.. we'll all eat, talk and play too much! Can't wait.

PanchoHambre 03-18-2008 03:12 PM

go back home to NY and see my family... eat some Italian food and Amtrack it back with leftovers.

unfortunatley have to work on monday so its gonna be a bit stressful

BrazenAmateur 03-18-2008 03:46 PM

We always go to one of 4 French places for Easter lunch, this year it is La Ferme.

They've always done well by me and I'm really looking forward to this year. My friend's family owns the place and they really know how to cook.

I'm definitely look forward to some nice crispy seared foie de veau and a mushroom & chevre tart.

Barb L. 03-19-2008 07:06 AM

:bunny: Love hearing all the family plans - God Bless, and Happy Easter !

suziquzie 03-19-2008 07:10 AM

Our egg hunt will be indoors, theres still quite a bit of snow, and its only supposed to be 35 degrees.
We are having my husbands side of the fam over for dinner. I decided I wanted to do it all myself so I'm not letting anyone bring anything.
Ham, augratin potatoes for sure, I cant decide what else for sides. Maybe green bean casserole?
What sides is everyone else making? I need to think up dessert also. I'll take suggestions!

GotGarlic 03-19-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziquzie (Post 569281)
Our egg hunt will be indoors, theres still quite a bit of snow, and its only supposed to be 35 degrees.
We are having my husbands side of the fam over for dinner. I decided I wanted to do it all myself so I'm not letting anyone bring anything.
Ham, augratin potatoes for sure, I cant decide what else for sides. Maybe green bean casserole?
What sides is everyone else making? I need to think up dessert also. I'll take suggestions!

Here's a dessert idea: Andrea's Recipes: Easter Bunny Cake and a Lesson in Frugality

Roasted asparagus or green beans are great, drizzled with lemon juice.

We don't do Easter, but I'm having a dinner party on Saturday. I'll post about that separately.

buckytom 03-19-2008 12:13 PM

i just found out that we're going to my sis's, and we'll be having a little b'day party for my son. my niece's boyfriend is a cop in town, so he's gonna let my little guy sit in and take a ride in the police car. that should be the hit of the party.

oh, we're bringing the baked ziti, and i'm thinking of making a second dish. gonna do some searching.

Fisher's Mom 03-19-2008 12:35 PM

That will be great, BT! I know your little guy has been wanting to play with a cop, right? And for his birthday! Just think, he'll be able to say the cops have been showing up at his birthday parties since he was 4!!!

B'sgirl 03-19-2008 12:51 PM

We are taking our exchange student to an Easter concert on Friday night and meeting my parents for dinner (who will kindly take my 16 month old for the evening). The we'll stay at my parent's house and give my little son an Easter egg hunt Saturday, go to a wedding reception Saturday night, then go home. Easter morning I'll give the fam their Easter baskets and we'll pretty much have a normal day: church, nap, dinner. I guess I should do a special meal or something but I haven't thought about it.

buckytom 03-19-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom (Post 569526)
That will be great, BT! I know your little guy has been wanting to play with a cop, right? And for his birthday! Just think, he'll be able to say the cops have been showing up at his birthday parties since he was 4!!!

rofl, f-mom!!!!! :rofl::lol:

i hadn't thought of that! i'm sure it won't be long before he's shouting "cops!!!!" and running.

Fisher's Mom 03-19-2008 12:59 PM

Hey, if it doesn't scare your boy, get a pic of him in handcuffs getting put into the cruiser. Wouldn't that be priceless?

buckytom 03-19-2008 01:07 PM

scared? it's not 5 minutes after i get home that he slaps the cuffs on me every night. turn around is fair play, i'll tell him.

oh, i forgot. i took saturday off all together, and we're going on a vintage train ride to see the easter bunny. also, we're gonna be decorating eggs, and having an egg hunt sometime over the weekend.

the best part last night was when i was reading a book to him about easter, there was a picture of people all dressed up going to church. so he asked for a light blue suit with a red bowtie to wear to church, like the boy in the picture. lots more blackmail pics for someday...

Fisher's Mom 03-19-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 569544)
scared? it's not 5 minutes after i get home that he slaps the cuffs on me every night. turn around is fair play, i'll tell him.

oh, i forgot. i took saturday off all together, and we're going on a vintage train ride to see the easter bunny. also, we're gonna be decorating eggs, and having an egg hunt sometime over the weekend.

the best part last night was when i was reading a book to him about easter, there was a picture of people all dressed up going to church. so he asked for a light blue suit with a red bowtie to wear to church, like the boy in the picture. lots more blackmail pics for someday...

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I love the suit request. One of my sons, who will be 18 tomorrow, wanted red suspenders to go with his light blue, short pants, Easter suit when he was 3. He still hates that picture!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.