Using a Glace to start a stock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
I'm going to be cooking for a large number of people in a little while. I have an idea to make a vichyssoise, but I won't have enough time to make a good stock.

I was thinking of making a Glace (a very concentrated stock, if it has another name) and using it to start the stock on the day I'll be cooking the soup.

The reason I can't just make the stock in advance is because we'll be going up to a facility that's far away from my house, so I can't just bring a pot of stock along.

Does a Glace work well as a stock starter? It's for 15 people, so if it works, about how much would I need in order to give everyone 2 cups of soup?

Mike

We need iron chef in for this one. But I don't see why you couldn't take a couple of ziploc bags of concentrated (or not) stock along. Andy's got the right idea.

I might have to do that. The problem is we're taking the bus up (a chartered bus), so it's kind of hard to carry stuff with me...Although maybe an easy way around it would be to just stay up late on the night we get there making stock. I never mind giving up sleep to cook :)

Mike

I don't have a lot of experience with making soups but I do, unfortunately, have a lot of experience with groups of people and chartered buses. There is plenty of room in the luggage compartment in the belly of the bus for ice chests or coolers. It's actually quite easy to carry large quantities of food and beverage on chartered buses.

You've already answered your own question Mike ... glace is just concentrated stock - so to turn it back into stock, just add water. How much water you need to add back to your glace depends on how much you have reduced it.

Back
Top Bottom