Can prawn toast be simply fried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooking_guy

Assistant Cook
hello,

i successfully made some prawn toast. i went to this chinese restaurant ordered some prawn toast to check out their ercipe, and feel that they had just fried, not deep fried the prawn toast.

is that another way of making it?

my prawn toast seemed to be a bit oily, is there a way to remove the oil from the prawn toast?

thanks for the reply,

i tried to drain it on paper towel but i felt that a bit of the oil was still present in the toast. can i lightly press the toasts to extricate the oil?

thanks for the advice,

i guess if the oil is too hot, then the tradeoff is that the inner portions of the prawn will be left a wee-bit uncooked but the upside is that the prawn toast is not that oily.

Sometimes it's called shrimp toast too. It looks like white bread (crust removed) made into a sandwich, cut in 1/4's (triangles), but you can't see the filling. It's then fried. The filling in between the slices is a mixture of prawns, finely minced, ginger, spring onion....you can find a number of recipes here. It's easier than me telling you. :chef:

thanks for the advice,

i guess if the oil is too hot, then the tradeoff is that the inner portions of the prawn will be left a wee-bit uncooked but the upside is that the prawn toast is not that oily.
That's why you don't make it too thick with the filling. Just a slice of bread, spread of the mixture, liberal coating of sesame seeds and fry. The bread will fry quickly and the prawn mix won't take long either. If you make the filling too thick then you may have an issue with the cooking time.

Missing the original question in your first post, I guess you could shallow fry but you still need to get the oil hot enough. My inclination would be in this case, to put the toast in mixture side down so that cooks first and just be quick with it. You can then flip over and do the toast side and spend a bit more time on that side. But that's just a guess. Someone more experienced than I would best suggest the proper way to shallow fry it.

Likewise, you could do a variance and oven fry the toast but it won't taste the same.

Hello,

I went free-style, prawns, one spring onion, garlic paste, pepper, one spring onion, tablespoon of prawn oil all in the food processor.

smattering of the mix on a piece of bread

lots of sesame seeds, all pressed into the toast+mix (i discovered that the seeds have a habit of floating away in the oil)

deep fried with seed side up, then turn in the oil

remove from oil, cut edges.

i had made some prawn mixture for prawn toast a few days back. the mix is in the fridge how long can i use the mix?

I went free-style, prawns, one spring onion, garlic paste, pepper, one spring onion, tablespoon of prawn oil all in the food processor.

So....that would be 2 spring onions? :LOL: :-p

Yep - 4th day as long as it has been stored properly. I store mine in a bowl sitting in an ice bowl. Smell will be your guide.

my rule of thumb for any seafood...4th day - toss it...good thread:chef:
there goes my precious mix :(

mine is not in a bowl. what a loss.

just one spring onion, my mistake, two onions are gonna give it one kick in terms of taste. :nuke:

that would be a nuclear kick, right?

kitchenelf had good advice about ice-bowl-seafood...keep expanding your culinary horizans:chef:

Back
Top Bottom