Any new cookbooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" (recipes for the Best Pot in your kitchen) Also " Bread, A Baker's book of techniques and recipes" and "Artisan Baking "

I actually don't have too many cookbooks, but I did just get Veganomicon. I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian, but I have some friends who are they highly recommend it. So I figured it couldn't hurt to have on hand in case I need to feed any of them. I have tried a few recipes so far and they've been pretty good.

The last cookbook I got I didn't buy, it is made up entirely of recipes shared here and already around 50 pages long LOL. It is becoming hard to manage so I need to start cleaning it up and organizing it in a MS Access database.

Nothing new, but some good old ones that are hilarious if you have any experience with european relatives (italian specifically) are by Dom DeLuise. Another is by Sophia Lorene. Dom's stories are what give his simple recipes flavor. One story is funnier than the next. You'll be crying from laughing so hard you won't be able to see the pages.
Go ahead, treat yourself. Enjoy a good light read. You deserve it.

;)just got two from the good cook book club. phillsbury best cookies and bars over the years. fun to see what was all the rage at different times.

the other is also phillsbury, and is bake off desserts. lots of pictures and yummy stuff.

babe:chef:

I just bough Jamie Oliver's "Cooking with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook", Tyler Florence's "Tyler's Ultimate", "Cooking with the Two Fat Ladies" and "Two Fat Ladies Ride Again". Jamie's is great. I have made several recipes from there already.

I like cookbooks I can just sit and read and get ideas from and these are good reads.:chef:

;)just got two from the good cook book club. phillsbury best cookies and bars over the years. fun to see what was all the rage at different times.

the other is also phillsbury, and is bake off desserts. lots of pictures and yummy stuff.

babe:chef:

I'm a member of the same book club, but I rarely buy books from them. I read the reviews and go to Amazon or another discount book place on the Internet and usually get them for half or less of the book club price. Shipping is usually about the same or less the way I buy them.

I just bough Jamie Oliver's "Cooking with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook", Tyler Florence's "Tyler's Ultimate", "Cooking with the Two Fat Ladies" and "Two Fat Ladies Ride Again". Jamie's is great. I have made several recipes from there already.

I like cookbooks I can just sit and read and get ideas from and these are good reads.:chef:

I've had "Cooking With Jamie" for a couple of months. It's an excellent book for learning how to cook and well as containing some super recipes.

Another good learning book (actually it's almost like a culinary school on paper) is "La Varenne Pratique" by Anne Willan.

If you like southwestern cooking, oh, this is sooooo shameless, check out "Southwest: The Beautiful Cookbook" by Barbara Pool Fenzl.

Barbi was my girlfriend for a year at the U. of Wisconsin.

From the back cover: Barbara Pool Fenzl, C.C.P. (Certified Culinary Professional) is active in many aspects of the culinary world: owner of Les Gourmettes Cooking School in Phoenix, food editor of Southwest Passages, a regional lifestyle magazine, president of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, benefactor and national board member of the American Institute of Wine and Food; member of the James Beard Foundation Restaurant Awards Committee. Ms. Fenzl holds a B.S. and M.A. degrees and is an inductee in the Arizona Culinary Hall of Fame.

Shameless! Yup, that's her picture ripped off the cover.....

Attachments

• Barbi Pool.JPG
    Barbi Pool.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I'm a member of the same book club, but I rarely buy books from them. I read the reviews and go to Amazon or another discount book place on the Internet and usually get them for half or less of the book club price. Shipping is usually about the same or less the way I buy them.

the ones i order were for a new member, so only paid one dollar for each. plus shipping. i almost always wait for a sale on sites.

babe

I need a new cookbook! Anyone want to recommend their favorite Italian one? I have a few on the subject, but only one is well-used (it's from a lady who had a cooking show back in the 70s called "Mama D"); the rest have too much seafood (ick).

Italian Country Table and the Splendid Table by Lynne Rosetto Kasper.

Some teasers

I need a book on food 'construction'. Something that would teach techniques like what I did to my crab cake. Any ideas?

I need a book on food 'construction'. Something that would teach techniques like what I did to my crab cake. Any ideas?

One of the books I mentioned earlier, here.

La Varenne Pratique by Anne Willan. The complete illustrated cooking course, techniques, ingredients, and tools of classic modern cuisine with more than 2,500 full color photographs.

One of the books I mentioned earlier, here.

La Varenne Pratique by Anne Willan. The complete illustrated cooking course, techniques, ingredients, and tools of classic modern cuisine with more than 2,500 full color photographs.

How does that book compare to Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques?

How does that book compare to Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques?

Amazon editorial review:

This massive undertaking is a comprehensive guide to the ingredients and techniques of "classic modern cuisine." There are thousands of photographs--of unusual ingredients, of difficult-to-master techniques, of artful presentations of the recipes included almost as a bonus--and pages of invaluable facts and information. Far more ambitious than the California Culinary Academy's Cooking A to Z ( LJ 2/15/89), this is closer to an expanded version of Jacques Pepin's classics La Methode ( LJ 2/15/80) and La Technique

Buzz

Just bought "Taste of Home, The Market Fresh Cookbook" at Sam's for $9.88. It is filled with over 300 delicious garden fresh recipes.:) It also has 13 recipes using rhubarb. My favorite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom