Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Golden mushroom is one of my favorite soups for baked chicken, and I was just wondering how I might make it from scratch.

Here are the ingredients listed on the can:
[FONT=Verdana, helvetica, Arial]Ingredients: Beef Stock, Water, Mushrooms, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Wheat Flour, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sauterne Wine, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed Or Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Margarine (Lightly Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Beta Carotene), Yeast Extract, Monosodium Glutamate, Beef Fat, Spice Extract, Dextrose & Caramel Color

[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'd saute the mushrooms in butter, deglaze with some wine and cook it off so the mix is almost dry. Sprinkle the flour on the mushrooms, mix it in and add tomato paste, stock and simmer until done.

The flour, along with the butter, will thicken the broth. You'll have to guess at the seasonings. Thyme goes well with mushrooms. You also could saute a little garlic with the mushrooms.

Golden mushroom is one of my favorite soups for baked chicken, and I was just wondering how I might make it from scratch.

Here are the ingredients listed on the can:
[FONT=Verdana, helvetica, Arial]Ingredients: Beef Stock, Water, Mushrooms, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Wheat Flour, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sauterne Wine, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed Or Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Margarine (Lightly Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Beta Carotene), Yeast Extract, Monosodium Glutamate, Beef Fat, Spice Extract, Dextrose & Caramel Color[/FONT]

I like to cook from "scratch", but when you find something that works, why not?? I will not make refied beans when you can just open a can and doctor them up. I will not make a Angle Food Cake from scratch when the cost of the mix is the same price of a dozen eggs and I don't have to worry about what to do with the leftover yolks ( I don't have dogs any more to scramble them up for).

I like to cook from "scratch", but when you find something that works, why not?? I will not make refied beans when you can just open a can and doctor them up. I will not make a Angle Food Cake from scratch when the cost of the mix is the same price of a dozen eggs and I don't have to worry about what to do with the leftover yolks ( I don't have dogs any more to scramble them up for).

My thoughts exactly. If you're going to make the soup as it is you'll be spending a lot of money on ingredients that you probably won't use again. If you make it differently, it won't taste the same. For the price and convenience of a can of this soup and since you love it so much, why not just buy the can??

My thoughts exactly. If you're going to make the soup as it is you'll be spending a lot of money on ingredients that you probably won't use again. If you make it differently, it won't taste the same. For the price and convenience of a can of this soup and since you love it so much, why not just buy the can??

That's true, especially when I'm using it as a sauce. But I wanted to figure out how to make it, just because.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom