Kitchen floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I have been meaning to ask this question for weeks, and I am here todaym rainy day and I am going to do floors.

How/what do you use to clean the grout in your kitchen tile floor? Cleaning the tile isn't so bad now that we have a swifter wet mop, but it isn't doing much for the grout, any thoughts?

I use a degreaser and a toothbrush on my sunroom floor. White grout no less. :glare:You need to seal it after a thorough cleaning like that.

We are getting a new ceramic tile kitchen floor this summer. The contractor said he would seal the grout to keep it from staining. Great idea considering I'm a messy cook!

Once you get the grout clean that might be worth considering.

You might also want to consider colored grout, Andy. If you can find a darker one that goes with your tile and color scheme, the staining and dirt issues aren't as "glaring". But it also needs to be sealed - all grout should be sealed for ease of cleaning and longevity of the grout.

When I read the OP my first thought was 'seal it'.

Seems as though this is not an original thought. :LOL:

I did a Google search for tile grout preparation.

I can see several issues such as type of grout your prepping and sealing. Seems to me grout on floor tile should be rubberized or plasticized (to handle flex) so that would make a difference in all the materials used in the entire process.

Andy - don't know if you're interested, don't know what your budget is, yet sealing grout is simple, but labor intensive. A few years ago I had about 600 sq ft of tile laid. The contractor gave me a separate price for sealing. I opted for recruiting my children for the task and we did it ourselves. It was tedious, but it saved me a bunch of bucks and I suspect we did a better job.

Just a thought.

Andy - don't know if you're interested, don't know what your budget is, yet sealing grout is simple, but labor intensive. A few years ago I had about 600 sq ft of tile laid. The contractor gave me a separate price for sealing. I opted for recruiting my children for the task and we did it ourselves. It was tedious, but it saved me a bunch of bucks and I suspect we did a better job.

Just a thought.

It would never have occurred to me to farm out this kind of work.

And sealing is not just a one-time job. It has to be re-done - especially in high traffic areas. I will NEVER have a light-colored grout again!!!!!!! :mad:

It would never have occurred to me to farm out this kind of work.

It's being done as part of a remodeling. New floor and backsplash, new countertop. Painting the whole condo and hadrwood floors on the main floor.

And sealing is not just a one-time job. It has to be re-done - especially in high traffic areas. I will NEVER have a light-colored grout again!!!!!!! :mad:

You got that right!

Folks, grout sealer comes in a plastic bottle with a spout like an eyedropper. Just squeeze it on the grout line, let dry and you're done. It couldn't be easier, espescially on new grout. Get a pair of those knee pads, you'll need 'em.

The deal here is/ was if I got the garage (got it) Wife gets a deck.

I didn't like the way the joists were in a section of the house, about the only way to replace these joist was removal of the mud plate where the deck was going, so the joists needed done first.

Since about all the bathroom plumbing had to come out to replace the joists the bathroom got moved around quite a bit, and since that plumbing was out I never really did like the kitchen .....

I was raised to not have others do for me what I can do for myself. Sooooo ....

If you ever need to know about the masochism of the serious DIYer I'm your reference.

You got that right!

Folks, grout sealer comes in a plastic bottle with a spout like an eyedropper. Just squeeze it on the grout line, let dry and you're done. It couldn't be easier, espescially on new grout. Get a pair of those knee pads, you'll need 'em.

But that's the thing, this is not new grout.

There may be additional steps involved to result in a job that does not need repeated quite as often.

We were fortunate to use GRAY grout when we did our Tile Floors. I can pass on an excellent cleaner for Tile Floors: 2 tablespoons amonia 1 tablespoon 20 Mule Team Borax and 1 gallon of water. Aria

Getting back to the OP's question, which is:

How do I clean grout in an existing tile floor.

I replied with the way that works for me. A quick trip to the local home center and you'll have your choice on cleaners, brushes and sealers.

When your floors are installed and if you opt to seal the grout yourself, ask the contractor what is recommended for the grout he/she used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom