SCOTLAND - Aviemore area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thinehost

Assistant Cook
... just for the day. We're travelling to the Aviemore area, despite there being fuel problems in Scotland at present. It's one of those business things which is unavoidable.

I don't think we'll stop for food on the way north, but after a hard day at a Trade Show, we'll need a treat of some kind on the way back home.

I love the pub grub at The Clachan, Drymen - it's a small, quaint little pub with a fantastic atmosphere. Can't wait :)

I'll let you know how I get on - probably Monday.

Mind you, sometimes my hubby decides to surprise me with a meal somewhere completely different. We were in Edinburgh recently and, at the end of a stressful day he took me to The Peacock Inn in Newhaven. They serve beautiful fish and chips (ok, lots more as well!) but the fish and chips is heavenly.

Margaret

Thanks, Quicksilver - I'll take my camera along and try and get some photos :)

M

Hope you have a wonderful trip, and I hope you get what you need for your business at the trade show. In any rate, have a great time. And remember, something as small as a bag of shelled, sunflower seeds to slowly munch can help you stay alert while driving. At least for me, munching something crunchy really sharpens my mind, keeps me from getting drowsy behind the wheel.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It was a beautiful journey north to Aviemore - and spring was in the air when we arrived -
spring.jpg

We went round half of the trade show - and then went for lunch in the Hotel restaurant. It was lovely. They have a carvery section and we had a beautiful roast gammon with vegetables (couldn't manage a sweet!)

aviemore.jpg

Aviemore Centre - quite different now, with a beautiful hotel and conference centre, plus shop and very good restaurant. This is in contrast to days of old when we went to the Aviemore Trade Show, which was held in marquees in the Aviemore Centre Car Park, towards the end of October.

The atmosphere at the old show was fantastic - partly because the marquees would be severely challenged by the wind and rain; we always expected the exhibits to be blown off the stands. In those days, the old Ice Rink at Aviemore was also used for exhibition stands; carpets were laid on top of the ice, stands were erected - and the trade visitors crowded in. There was one year when the ice started to melt - and it was very soggy underfoot.

This year's show is small by comparison with former times - I think there were approximately 130 exhibitors. We did do some buying, but mainly from suppliers with whom we already had relationships. So, in a way it was a little disappointing. However, from our point of view, the show concentrates on Scottish suppliers (slightly politically incorrect :rolleyes:) - and we've always tried to support local craftsmen and women. For overseas trade buyers, they would still recognise many of the companies who they met 20 years ago - and I'm sure they would love the very friendly atmosphere .... oh, and the scenery!

On the way home, we stopped at Pitlochry. We parked at the car park at Pitlochry Theatre and then had a walk, crossing at the Dam and walking to towards the town centre. We had a fantastic meal at the Old Armoury Restaurant - we were in time for their pre-theatre menu which is lovely.

cat.jpg

This is the restaurant's cat - well trained, sitting outside the bar window, watching every move.

Sandy had chicken breast stuffed with haggis - he said it was delicious. I had fish and chips (haddock) - and it was fantastic. Then Sandy asked for a fresh fruit salad - it was made up for him specially;

fruit.jpg

I chose the Fruit Brulee - creme brulee with some berries in the dish - it was rich and tasty.

cremebrulee.jpg

We then walked round the town and walked back across the suspension bridge - passing some lovely shops, bed & breakfast businesses, hotels - and, much to our surprise, a couple of vintage cars.

cars.jpg

We drove home on quiet roads, enjoying a beautiful sunset. When we got home, we both agreed that it felt as if we had been away for days, rather than having a quick trip north.

Best
Margaret

Thinehost, thanks for the photos. I'm glad you had a pleasant trip and came home refreshed. What is the mountain(?) on the right side of the 1st photo?

In florida, everything is flat, no mystery ahead.
I miss that kind of scenery.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Thanks for asking, jKath, I don't know what gammon is, either. It is really fun to see these pictures - we all live in such different parts of the world. Scotland is really beautiful. I did live in England for three years (30+ years ago), so you'd think I'd know what gammon is......

Thanks, Michael - that's a good explanation of gammon; I thought it was a word with an international flavour - obviously not. :)

Margaret

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom