Freezing Milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Is it possible to freeze milk? Milk prices are not regulated here like in Ontario. I am wonder if I buy milk and we dont go through it all, will I be able to put it in serving size containers and freeze it?

I freeze it all the time. Just make sure to pour off/drink about 1/2 cup from the container before you put it in the freezer. It will expand as it freezes. As a general rule you should use it within 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator. It will take a while.

I used to freeze it per Katie's instructions. It would take about three days to thaw a gallon in the fridge so plan for thaw time. I've now gone to powdered, kids are gone and I got tired of throwing it out once it spoiled.

I always buy the two plastic one gallon jugs for a lower price and freeze one. Never had a problem, except once in a while I get these little white specks showing up in my Ovaltine. It doesn't effect the taste, so I don't worry about them. I never darin any off and I haven't had a top blow off yet. I thaw the frozen one for about 8 hours on the counter, then shake it up and move it to the fridge. It usually has some ice for the first, and sometimes the second, day, but that just makes the milk colder.

I do it all the time. We do not always have milk, so I have to freeze. I do not bother to even open it. I just freeze. I do freeze half gallon, I don't know if it makes any difference. I've had milk in the freezer for as long as a year. And it was still fine. If it wasn't you'd know right away.

P.S. The only thing I recommend, shake it really well after defrosting it.

Good low fat treat..

Buy some individual low fat Chocolate milk bottles, drain a little out of each and freeze.

A tasty chocolate ice milk treat with pretty low calorie and low fat content. To serve, just slice the bottle open, or squeeze it out the top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom