ISO suggestions for Mother's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
Time is running out and I need some suggestions on what to do. In the past I have done jewelery, special meals cooked at home or special nights out, horseback riding, massages, etc.
Money is limited so can't cost an arm and a leg, just the leg...
I was thinking a combo of a special meal (she is a seafood lover so something out of this world with seafood would be good), and a day spa? Doing a make over will not work as this time of year she is working outside in dirt and sweat.. and well that wouldn't last long LOL. I can't think of anything else that would work, I thought about skydiving but when I casually mentioned the topic she flat out said she would never do something like that. She is also scared of flying so a fly over of Chicago is out. Babysitting is next to impossible so that makes it hard as well.
Jewelry would go for her b-day or Christmas when there is more money for such things ( her B-day is in November so I have time to save up and get it where as right now we are just getting going on clients and gardens so there is not as much saved up).
I am thinking Rubies for her B-Day... hey any way to block her from peaking in here and looking??? LOL. I will tell her to avoid the thread or else....
Please, lots of posts I need suggestions on special meals and a special thing to go do...

I'll give it some thought. I'm sure though that what ever you do for her you'll do with love and it will mean the world to her.

We got my mom a manicure/pedicure...it was $30. Just a little bit of pampering for her.

In the past we've gotten her some potted geraniums (the kids painted the pots), some new gardening gloves, etc. Little things like that.

Will trade Mother's Day idears for Father's Day idears. :)

Here's a thought that isn't pricey, but will be in her heart for a long time...

For your Mom: Remember the meal that your Mom made when you were a kid that you loved the most, and then change it up, to make it elegant & contemporary. Along with it, write (not type....handwriting is always best) your favorite memories you've had with and because of her.

For your Wife: Same idea, only make the meal a twist on the first meal you either shared together, or the meal that you ate when you realized you adored her. Same idea for the handwritten memories.

I am not a Mom, but this is what I my DH and adopted/rented daughter did 2 years ago:
-Breakfast in bed
-cleaning up after that breakfast
-one of my favourite movies on DVD (actually bought not rented) and we watched it all together.
- No flowers (for me that is important due to asthma, but you could include them)
-A picnic in a nearby park for lunch
-They each hand made a card telling me what I mean to them
-"Daughter" made us dinner which we had to dress up really nice for.

You could pick and choose from any of those.

Mave, I've never been to Illinois, but how about a dinner cruise, or visiting some of the attractions in your area? Just a fun day out together. Grab a bite & your camera.

Chicago Dinner Cruises - Enjoy Dinner and Entertainment on Saturday Night

Chicago Lunch Tours and Sightseeing Cruises from May to September

Go Chicago Card, Chicago Illinois Tourist Attractions, Museums, Things to do in Chicago

(There's a bunch of links on the left.)
Most Popular Tours & Activities

Go Chicago Card, Chicago Illinois Tourism, Chicago City Tours, Chicago Sightseeing Pass

And, there's a Culinary tour ;)
Food Tasting Tours in Chicago - Culinary Walking Tours and Cultural Experiences in IL

Last edited:
My mom died of a stroke 28 years ago. Her suffering still hurts me today.

But I remember how great she was, and I rely upon her wisdom all the time.

We rarely had money to do much for mom, and she knew that far better than we did. We did the best we could on Mother's day.

But she always knew she was loved, thank goodness. Heck, my mom was a very special person as I am sure your's is also.

For those of you who have your moms, I envy you. Alll she needs is a hug and to know how much you love her.

And taking her to dinner might be nice.

Yea, my Mom gets a card and honestly I don't think she gives a hoot anyway whether she hears from me or not.... but anyway...

First meal with DW I made her lobster and shrimp scampi. Can't get a professional gardener garden gloves or plants, LOL. If we can get a babysitter (still striking out on that one) a cruise would be wonderful.

Right now it is looking like a Thai three course meal is shaping up, which is my fault for letting her gather some groceries today. I think she did that on purpose, LOL. I am also thinking a day spa idea where she gets to spend most of the day being pampered might go over well.

For me, a home-cooked meal and a nice card would be enough.
If you want to do more you might consider a pampering kit: a pretty robe, soap and body wash (I have bad allergies, but the Neutrogena glycerin facial bar and Rainbath body wash don't bother me), a back brush, nylon scrubbie, nail brush, bath salts that are not flowery, body lotion, and a luxurious towel set.

I am also thinking a day spa idea where she gets to spend most of the day being pampered might go over well.

do it.

do it do it do it do it do it.

my wife wasn't too sure about it when i got her a gift certificate to a spa for mama's day a coupla years back. she blew it off until just before it expired. the miser in me thought of the wasted $$$, so i began a seige of whining no woman could stand. she capitulated, and ended up having a nice time. she particularly liked the hot stone massages and foot therapies.

the actual services ain't worth the bucks by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the fact that it's a day completely to pamper her, almost as much as a sacrificial knife into your wallet for her pleasure.:(

kidding.

mostly.

so, do it.

and do the dishes, for god's sakes.

Oh I know she would love the foot therapies! I don't do feet... I give her massages and body rubs all the time (even have my own selection of oils to us), but no feet.
Dishes.... umm.... yea.... those... uh.....er... LOL.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. If we can arrange it, I would love to make her a nice meal for lunch and go on one of the cruises for dinner. Then it is either the day spa or a culinary tour of Chicago which will be done at a later date. I am leaning toward the day spa though...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom