Uneven browning of rosti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I'm still working on this recipe: Authentic Potato Pancakes - Allrecipes - I can't get them to brown properly. It's like, I squash them down in the pan, but some parts must be in closer contact to the pan than others, because while some small areas brown, other parts (the majority) retain the grey-ish colour of air-exposed potato. The recipe says to cook four minutes on each side, whereas I'm cooking at lot longer, so the problem can't be that the heat is too high. I'm afraid that increasing it will burn the parts that are in contact. Do I need more oil? If all else fails, can I cheat by brushing with milk or egg white or some such thing?

:) With potato pancakes you need to wring out shredded potatoes in a dish towel they were to wet to cook properly. As for rosti which is the size of the whole pan you would use potaoes that have been boiled to almost done it's best to boil them a day ahead of time. When ready to make them grate your potatoes S&P heat oil or butterin skillet add potatoes and press dowm lightly let cook until brown when brown about medium heat put a plate over potatoes and flip over onto plate and slide raw side back into pan be sure to add some more oil or butter first. Take a tablespoon or so of water and put around sides of pan and cover with a lid for a couple minutes take off lid cook until brown. With a rosti the Swiss like to put swiss cheese on it when done and let melt. Will try to find you a recipe.

Sorry i should have been more specific. What type of frying pan (make, model)? What is it made out of? Is it SS or non stick? How is it constructed (clad, encapsulated bottom, etc.)?

Sorry i should have been more specific. What type of frying pan (make, model)? What is it made out of? Is it SS or non stick? How is it constructed (clad, encapsulated bottom, etc.)?

Err... cheap frying pan? One is from Ikea and another is Tefal; they're both non-stick and I'm not sure how they're constructed but imagine something really cheap and it's probably rather like that. I'm not sure that it's a conduction problem though; it's not like it browns in a specific pattern... There are some stainless steel saucepans available most of which are also very cheap but one does say 18/10 on the bottom. It's a student place, so we just use what's there.

It is much more difficult to get good even browning on a non stick pan. Also cheap pans tend to have hot and cold spots which contribute to uneven browning.

Back
Top Bottom