Looking for a good garlic press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefmenot

Assistant Cook
Ok, I think this is the right spot for this post. I did try a short search on "garlic press", which is what I am after. I didn't find anything relevant (although I did learn some stuff about garlic I didn't know +1 for learning something new). I am looking for a good garlic press, all the ones I see and used have garlic eventually spewing out the sides and i have to put it back into the little cubby and press again. I know, its a minor thing, but is there a better one out there is more efficient at pressing garlic. Wife and I use garlic a lot..especially the wife so it would be nice to get her something much better if available.

I am satisfied with my Pampered Chef press, but I must admit, I'm not enamoured with it. Nor have I been enamoured with any other press I've purchased, so I say with that caveat that the Pampered Chef press is the best one I've had. I do like the little contraption it comes with to clean out the holes, though. I much prefer pressed over minced garlic, so I hope someone comes through with the miracle garlic press suggestion here.

Instead of a press, you could try the "make a paste with the side of a knife and some salt" trick, but it never works for me. Any tips appreciated while we're on the garlic-pulverizing subject.

I have the Pampered Chef one as well. It does the job nicely and I like the cleaning attachment. The attachment doesn't stay on it very well though so you have to keep track of it and it's kind of a pain. DH used to have a Good Grips one that you just had to turn backwards to clean it out and he really liked that. I just bought that kind for my mom at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Instead of a press, you could try the "make a paste with the side of a knife and some salt" trick, but it never works for me. Any tips appreciated while we're on the garlic-pulverizing subject.

Roughly chopped garlic, bit of coarse salt, mortar & pestel. Makes a wonderful paste.

As for the garlic press, I found them useless and I really don't need one. Strike of the palm on a knife or saucer does the trick.

I used to use one but got a little tired of cleaning it and ended up finding it easier just to chop up with a knife.

I used to use one but got a little tired of cleaning it and ended up finding it easier just to chop up with a knife.

I just run mine through the dishwasher every night. It seems to handle the wear and tear fairly well.

I can't do the knife thing very well. I'm always nicking myself (and getting my fingernails with the cheese grater) so the garlic press was a live saver for me.

I have the Zyliss susi 2 garlic press and like it a lot. You don't even have to peel the garlic first.

I don't have a garlic press but I can tell you that America's Test Kitchen recommended the Zyliss as the best.

I'm another for the flat of a knife or mortar & pestle depending on amount.

The last garlic specific gadget I bought was a Garlic Twist. I liked it better than any garlic press Ive used, but I still think I prefer the two methods above.

I own and use a Zyliss almost every day. It works great, even when you don't peel the garlic completely.

I just use the flat of my knife, then some salt to make a paste. I used to use a press back when I first started cooking, but didn't like having to clean it out all the time.

America's Test Kitchen gave the Rosle garlic press a number two rating only because of the price. I paid 38.00 at Sur Le Table and it's worth every cent. It is without a doubt the best garlic press I've ever used. It flips open to clean very easily. Rinsing under the faucet is all that is required. Go to Google and type in "rosle garlic press." Look at the U-Tube video and see how it works. Forget that the idiot on the video didn't peel the garlic first. This press is very easy to use does a great job of sqeezing tons of garlic out of it and as I said, cleans in seconds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom