Never used a smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Ello,

So the the other i come home from the movies and i see this big green looking thing on my porch. My mom and dad asked if i knew what it was and i had no idea what it was. I looked at it and it was a Brickmen gourmet smoker and grill. i had no idea how it got there and niether do my parents. come to find out while i was at church a friend asked if i got the smoker. he said it was so and so and they gave it to me because he knew i was interested in learning how to smoke meats. so now i have a new smoker and no idea how to use it. the manual is fuzzy to me. so i came here for some help.

i really have never smoked with a smoker before let alone at all, so any tips would be awesome

T.I.A

Ello,

So the the other i come home from the movies and i see this big green looking thing on my porch. My mom and dad asked if i knew what it was and i had no idea what it was. I looked at it and it was a Brickmen gourmet smoker and grill. i had no idea how it got there and niether do my parents. come to find out while i was at church a friend asked if i got the smoker. he said it was so and so and they gave it to me because he knew i was interested in learning how to smoke meats. so now i have a new smoker and no idea how to use it. the manual is fuzzy to me. so i came here for some help.

i really have never smoked with a smoker before let alone at all, so any tips would be awesome

T.I.A

I used these directions/diagram the other day to make some great grilled smoked ribs: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/smoking-pork-spare-ribs-question-9939.html

You can probably adapt the method to use in your smoker. Have fun :)

http://www.brinkmann.net/Docs/Pdf/852-7080-E.pdf

your right, brinkman. Even with this manual i am having trouble seeing things correctly.

Oops!! I missed your link....This a basic R2D2 Water Smoker....Set the legs up on some bricks/blocks...this will alow you to adjust the air flow vent (one hole I think) underneath...this will help some to control temperature. Becareful don't burn yourself...It's hot!!! Fill the fire pan with charcoal...allow the charcoal to completely ignite...they will be white...Fill the waterpan with water...(this acts as a heat sink to keep temperatures down) Install the racks and place your meat on the racks...Place the cover on, and you are good to go.

Some things that may help...A instant read thermometer to determine doneness of the meat...An oven thermometer inside to tell you what the "real" temperature is...(rather than warm, ideal, hot, or what ever the guage says)
With practice you will learn how to adjust the intake air flow vent so the cooker will settle in around 225*-250*...Think of "smoke" as a flavor component...like salt and pepper. Practice with chickens for a while. Once you get used to the cooker you can move on to butts, briskets, ribs, etc.

Have Fun!

Last edited:
Oops!! I missed your link....This a basic R2D2 Water Smoker....Set the legs up on some bricks/blocks...this will alow you to adjust the air flow vent (one hole I think) underneath...this will help some to control temperature. Becareful don't burn yourself...It's hot!!! Fill the fire pan with charcoal...allow the charcoal to completely ignite...they will be white...Fill the waterpan with water...(this acts as a heat sink to keep temperatures down) Install the racks and place your meat on the racks...Place the cover on, and you are good to go.

Some things that may help...A instant read thermometer to determine doneness of the meat...An oven thermometer inside to tell you what the "real" temperature is...(rather than warm, ideal, hot, or what ever the guage says)
With practice you will learn how to adjust the intake air flow vent so the cooker will settle in around 225*-250*...Think of "smoke" as a flavor component...like salt and pepper. Practice with chickens for a while. Once you get used to the cooker you can move on to butts, briskets, ribs, etc.

Have Fun!

ok, what about cooking times, i dont feel like slow cooking to much because then i have to monitor for hours. 4 hours or less is good to me.

can i grill at first then smoke it?

ok, what about cooking times, i dont feel like slow cooking to much because then i have to monitor for hours. 4 hours or less is good to me.

can i grill at first then smoke it?

Chicken and ribs will fall generally into your time frame, but I strongly suggest you don't BBQ by using a watch...meat can not tell time!!! Buy a thermometer to check for doneness. You can "grill" by placing a meat grate directly on/over the hot coals...then remove and set it up to cook as I described above.

OK LT - here's what you do the first time. You will need:

Hickory CHUNKS (not chips)
Hardwood Briquettes
Charcoal (do NOT use the stuff with lighter fluid in it already)
Cheap apple juice or apple cider
Chimney (to start the coal - I prefer 2 but 1 will do)
2 sheets of newspaper per chimney
Buy one of those plastic lighters
Instant read thermometer
Silicone gloves or pot holders to pick up the hot hunk of meat as you do not want to pierce with a fork

Hamburger buns
coleslaw recipe below

1 pork shoulder or picnic or pork butt, whatever it's called in your area
cut the hunk of fat off the meat - there's plenty of fat in it, you don't need it, plus, it will create more "bark", that's the brown stuff on the outside that gets all the yummy tasty goodness

Rub your shoulder or picnic (nope, you can't make me say it! :ohmy:) with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let come to room temp for about 30 minutes or so.

Soak your Hickory chunks (about 5) in enough water to cover. Sometimes you have to stick a plate in the bowl to hold the chunks down.

Fill the water pan will apple juice.

Take one full sheet of newspaper and scrunch up and place under your chimney in that area provided. Place a combination of the hardwood briquettes and charcoal in the chimney. Light the paper by poking the lighter through the holes all around. You will see wisps of smoke coming up out of the coals. It will take about 20 minutes until you see fire. When you see the fire you can dump the coals in the coal pan. Place the chunks about the coals, place the meat on the rack in the middle, close the door, and leave it alone!

It will quit smoking eventually but that's ok. The smoke has penetrated the meat. One of the worst things you can do is over-smoke something.

Now, if you notice your temperature setting getting too low you can always heat up some more coals in your chimney - dump those in. Sometimes, depending on how long it takes, I have added 3 or 4 more additions. I'm like Bob, I don't know times either but I know that a hunk of meat can take up to 10 - 12 hours, so plan on that.

After about 8 you can take your instant read thermometer and get an idea. You want the meat to get up to at least 190. Anything less won't be pullable. If you can hold out until it reaches 200 or even 210 you will be smitten for pulled pork forever!

Now, get a head of cabbage and shred or chop. Chop 1 small green pepper and one small carrot. Toss together and add about 1 cup of the sauce below. Let "marinate" for an hour or two.

BBQ Sauce time:
2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
2 TBS packed brown sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt (makes a huge difference so use kosher)
1 TBS Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 – 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1 – 2 tsp. black pepper

If you mix the brown sugar and salt first with just the vinegar the vinegar will help "melt" it. Mix in everything else and add as much red pepper flakes as you want. Don't over do it at first though.

Like mentioned above, take about a cup of this to use for the coleslaw and then use the rest to spoon over the pulled meat.

OK, once the meat is done let it rest for about 20 - 30 minutes - IF YOU PULL IT TOO SOON ALL THE JUICES WILL RUN OUT AND IT WILL BE DRY AND YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!

OK - off soapbox - once the meat has rested and cooled pull as much as you will eat.

Place pulled meat on bun, top with some of the BBQ sauce, then top with the slaw, put bun "lid" on and enjoy!

This looks long but it's really not hard to do - once you do this you will be begging for more recipes and they won't scare you.

**you better make this - it took me forever to type it :LOL:

I just saw where you said 4 hours or less - sometimes a whole chicken takes 6 hours. And I need to clear one thing up - you don't "monitor" - you "sip on several beverages" while waiting :ermm::angel:

If your smoker is set up so it's not up against a house or on a deck you will find you can pretty much leave it alone and even run to the store. You can buy a mat that goes under it for extra protection too.

Great post, kitchenelf!

LT, there is a learning curve to these things, and if you want to invest the time in it, check out this site written by a cyber-friend of mine. Welcome to RandyQ's Barbecue Ramblings Scroll down till you see the section on "ECB", which means "El Cheapo Brinkman" and it's a common term of endearment for this smoker. Randy had a cheaper version of your smoker, one which many of us (including me) started on.

He has a thorough list of instructions and modifications that you can make to your smoker to better control the air flow.

If you are wanting to smoke the cheaper cuts of meat (ribs, pork butt, brisket), then be prepared to make the mods and go for the long smokes.

If you just want to add smokey flavor to tender cuts (prime rib, chicken, turkey breast, salmon, pre-cooked ham), then you can do them within four hours and your smoker will be fine for those. I'd still make the modifications, though.

We will help you, LT!

Lee

Chicken and ribs will fall generally into your time frame, but I strongly suggest you don't BBQ by using a watch...meat can not tell time!!! Buy a thermometer to check for doneness. You can "grill" by placing a meat grate directly on/over the hot coals...then remove and set it up to cook as I described above.

Uncle Bob, does this mean that once the desired temp is reached, you are done? Is it possible to smoke the meat too much? I am probably confusing using a slow cooker with smoking, in thinking that low and slow gives you lots of leeway as far as time is concerned.... I don't know....
I am assuming that the meat can't get a higher temp than what the smoker registers..... but will it dry out if left on too long, even with a water pan?

Thanks. Just trying to learn for my upcoming brisket attempt. I'm already at a disadvantage not having a true smoker :mellow:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom