Welsh Rarebit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
This snack is very tasty - and much better than 'ordinary' cheese on toast. If you add a poached egg to the final result, it then becomes 'Buck Rarebit'... Rarebit is often written 'rabbit' -and I've often wondered whether that's the reason for the use of the word 'buck' in the more exotic version?!

WELSH RAREBIT

8 oz grated strong cheddar cheese
4 tablespns stout or beer (I use whatever is in the house!) The amount may need to be increased slightly, if the resulting rarebit is to thick.
2 oz butter
1 teaspn English mustard powder (quite strong and HOT)
1.5 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper, to taste
Thick cut bread from an uncut loaf, ready to toast

(I use a double boiler to make this, but a friend just chucks it all in a saucepan together !)

Make a roux of the butter and flour. Season to your taste. Add the liquid, cheese and mustard and mix well, until cheese has fully melted and mixture has become a thick sauce.

Toast one side of the bread. Spread a generous amount of the mixture on the untoasted side and then put under a very hot grill until bubbling and golden!

Cool! I always thought this included rabbit as you mentioned. I may try this for our football party tomorrow. It looks easy and good.

I grew up on Welsh rarebit, although my grandmother used to use milk instead of beer, much to my father's disgust!!!

Welsh Rabbit as a term was actually a slur, a bit of a dig at the Welsh. In Olde England the term "Welsh" was used to indicate something inferior, and rabbit was used as a bit of a joke as well. It was only later in the 1700's that the term rarebit was introduced.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom