Great Deal on Sirloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I was at Sam's Club yesterday and they had their whole sirloin tips out. I ended up getting one for $18. Brought it home and of course it is too big for one meal so sliced it up raw into 1" thick steak size pieces. I grilled about 1/3 of the meat for dinner last night and they came out great. Now I have 2 more meals of sirloin "steaks" in the freezer. That is sure better than the $28 they wanted for just 4 sirloin steaks!:D

Yes it was. I was hesitant at first but the price for the amount of meat won me over to take a chance. Of course there is little marbeling but if they are cooked to med. rare (which is where we like them anyway) they were still juicy and tender. I seasoned them with garlic salt, onion salt, and pepper. My 19 year old ate the 2 biggest ones and asked if there were more!

Sirloin is a great piece of meat...Cut 1 inch + thick and cooked like you said, not past med rare, it is excellent. I used to buy what was called in my area a "long bone sirloin" (bone-in steak) I would get them cut at least two inches..grill, and feed my whole family on 1 big thick cut steak!!

I agree, Sirloin is one of my favorite cuts. Wonderful steaks, cut thin makes great sandwiches. I even use it in my chili cut into cubes.

Glad it turned out great for you, I'd just caution against relating "sirloin tip" to top sirloin, or even bottom sirloin.

Good deal for you OP, sirloin has such great flavor! A sirloin tip roast cut into steaks here is referred to "sizzlers" ... it's a bit much to chew sometimes, but I have marinated them in olive oil, wine vinegar and a splash of soy with spices and they make great kabobs or even fajitas in a pinch (because for some reason flank steak is priced higher than sirloin).

Uncle Bob, that long bone sirloin 2" thick sounds good! ... my family would love that! I'm not sure I've ever seen a sirloin around here with a bone, but bet the flavor is a knockout. I recently picked up some "freeze today" top sirloins at Sam's for $2.98/lb. We had several nice meals from that $10 investment!

I agree, Sirloin is one of my favorite cuts. Wonderful steaks, cut thin makes great sandwiches. I even use it in my chili cut into cubes.

Interesting Jeff ... to what size are you cubing? I do that with pasta sauce sometimes, but like to use chuck so it shreds and breaks down into the sauce a bit.

Back
Top Bottom