Price of Celery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masonthechef

Assistant Cook
Hi, 1st post here :D

I work in the produce dept. of a local grocery store. I've had a few customers ask me what's up with the rise in celery prices. It's currently $3.69 a stalk ?!?!
(while hearts are only $3.49.....)

I cant seem to find anything recent about it anywhere. But it's quite insane for something so basic. Anyone here got inside info?

Last edited:
Same reason why the price of everything else is going up. Cost of doing business, from the farmer on up, including the grocery employee who wants a raise because he/she can't afford the higher prices.

Not sure where you are, but I've been getting it for under $2.00, and it's imported. Did you ask your produce manager, they may have an answer.

Not sure where you are, but I've been getting it for under $2.00, and it's imported. Did you ask your produce manager, they may have an answer.

I'm from southeast Michigan. And they have no idea either.

yeah, last week about $1 here in New York although peppers were up to about $3/lb which is 3X what i paid a few weeks ago

Ouch. bells are $1.50 each here for green and $2.49 for red,yellow,orange.

Same reason why the price of everything else is going up. Cost of doing business, from the farmer on up, including the grocery employee who wants a raise because he/she can't afford the higher prices.

True, everything is going up. but the jump for 1.99 to 3.69 is quite beyond the rise any sane farmer would bring. We've sold maybe 1 case all week. I was more leaning towards a bad growing season.

Last edited:
I just bought celery last night at SuperWalmart - $1.46.
Distributed by Duda Farm Fresh Foods, Inc, Oviedo, Florida
Sounds like a price error if it's more expensive than hearts.

True, everything is going up. but the jump for 1.99 to 3.69 is quite beyond the rise any sane farmer would bring. We've sold maybe 1 case all week. I was more leaning towards a bad growing season.
Very true and we are experiencing a lot of problems around the world with bad crops or farmers changing crops, but I still place that issue at the "farmer level". The "market" in the meantime reacts to the amount of food that is available and how to get it to where the demand is. It is the prices along these many hands that cause rapid changes in the price.

Here in D.C. my produce prices are threw the roof...41 for a case of celery and upwards of 50 for a case of peppers.

Everything is going up...

Back
Top Bottom